Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 Kia Sadona
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I have a 05 Sadona and my ac is not working. When I turn the ac on you can hear the engine go under a load. The Compressure clutch does not kick in. I have checked the following. I have checked power to clutch and its getting power. I have also checked the freon there was a little to much in there from the owener before me so I dropped that down to a better range and the clutch still does not kick in. any help would be great. I found a refurbished ac compressure but if its an easy fix something I'm over looking before I go that route. Thank you so much for your help.

Camble

·
Registered
2008 Rio LX, 2007 Honda Shadow (Bike)
74 Posts
I don't know why the engine would load up with the ac on if the clutch isn't engaging. If their is power going to the clutch and it isn't engaging, you need to replace the clutch or the compressor as an assembly. Unless you have some kind of problem on the ground side.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
There have been recent posts on the Sedona AC clutches going bad..
If the clutch coil "opens" (does not allow current o flow) you will have 12v on the coil but it won't operate (engage). There are kits to replace just the coil (clutch) available on ebay to repair this problem. One poster here pulled one off of a same year Sedona only to have the used replacement fail so I would not recommend "used" parts as it looks like a "batch" of bad ones are out there...
Dave

·
Registered
05 Kia Sadona
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's, would you guys recommend refurbished or new. I looked on ebay and found the ac with clutch when i read the information its telling me that I need to replace the drier/accumulator and the expansion valve. I planned on having the system cleaned out then re-filled by a local shop. Would you guys recommend replacing all three items? If I do that i thought about just doing the evaporator as well just to be safe what do you think.

Thanks

Camble

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should do ok with new or refurbed. As far as the receiver drier goes, yes you should replace it. Its usually all one unit. I usually don't replace the expansion valve but you can. The evaporator is fine unless its leaking and isn't done routinely when you have to open the system like the receiver drier is. Replacement would be a waste of money. Flushing isn't usually necessary unless you've had contamination from a compressor grinding up but wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sadona
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
should i replace the condenser. When I first looked at the ac problem the system had full charge of freon so nothing is leaking. I think if I replace the drier, valve and compressor and flush the system I think it will be good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
should i replace the condenser. When I first looked at the ac problem the system had full charge of freon so nothing is leaking. I think if I replace the drier, valve and compressor and flush the system I think it will be good.
You don't usually replace the condenser unless it's leaking. You will be fine just doing what you have planned. Replacing either the condenser or evaporator will add SIGNIFICANTLY to the repair cost, so you don't want to do it unless it needs it.

·
Registered
89 Isuzu trooper, Subaru Forester
5 Posts
These are very bad also for the thermistors causing the A/C clutch not too engage. It is behind the glove box and very difficult to get too but you need to make sure you are getting 12volts at the thermistor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts