Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio JB 2005
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have searched all over and only found a tad of information on this subject. For those of you who own the Rio in the earlier model such as the 05, how exactly was it that you routed the power cable for your amp/sub through the firewall?

I have had a decent look and could not really find any grommets to use. Could you please give me some advice or even photos detailing how you did it?

Also my car is the manual hatch version with Right hand drive.

Cheers !

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
868 Posts
It is not recommended that you violate the integrity of the 'front of dash'. (its not a 'fire wall')
If you do, warranty may be adversely affected and your safety compromised.
If you trade or sell this vehicle with a modified front of dash you may be jeopardizing the safety of the unknowing new owner.
Something to consider......

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
279 Posts
i would drill a hole and grommet it. when i was doing the steering rack there wasn't much up above... pop the cluster out and drill below the washer motor somewhere, possibly between the brake booster and proportioning valve...

·
Registered
Kia Rio JB 2005
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would drill a hole and grommet it. when i was doing the steering rack there wasn't much up above... pop the cluster out and drill below the washer motor somewhere, possibly between the brake booster and proportioning valve...

Would have a photo by any chance ?

·
Registered
279 Posts
there's nothing showing this in my build thread in this subforum but there are some shots in there of the empty engine bay...

·
Registered
Kia Rio JB 2005
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there's nothing showing this in my build thread in this subforum but there are some shots in there of the empty engine bay...
Being that my car is the right hand drive version we both have the big circle HVAC thing in the same position. Do you think I could still next to that and feed through?

·
Registered
279 Posts
are you sure you don't mean the brake booster?

just make sure both sides are clear before you drill. and again it's important to grommet and / or protect the wire as rubbing will cause a short and fire if the wire jacket is compromised.

·
Registered
Kia Rio JB 2005
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you sure you don't mean the brake booster?

just make sure both sides are clear before you drill. and again it's important to grommet and / or protect the wire as rubbing will cause a short and fire if the wire jacket is compromised.
I could mean that 🤦. It's the large black circle item on the right hand side if you are staring directly into the engine bay. Failing this I might see if I can snake the cable through the driver side fender and see if there is a hole where anywhere.

·
Registered
279 Posts
if it has the brake reservoir and master cylinder sticking out of it, it's the brake booster. don't drill into that :)

·
Registered
Kia Rio JB 2005
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it has the brake reservoir and master cylinder sticking out of it, it's the brake booster. don't drill into that :)

I was considering routing the cable down the same path as the hood release cable but on the opposite side of the car. Saves me drilling anything.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Rio 4d
3 Posts
Hi did you ever find a path?
I added an air horn (button/fuse/relay) I was able to locate and use existing wires meant for optional features my car did not come with. (Fog lights/power windows/ etc). Disconnect the battery first, isolate both ends relabel and document clearly and permently for furture reference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts