Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Issue #1

Front passenger door is stuck shut, will not open from inside or outside, although
lock appears to function properly. I've tried using a slim jim to open but was not successful.

Dealer response:

Might have to break door panel to gain access to fix.
Door Panel= $250
Labor= $110/hr @ 2-3 hours

Issue # 2

Occasionally when I try to start my car, I will hear a screeching or grinding sound, it seems to always start normally on the second attempt however. My first thought was to replace my starter, but I've read online that It may be a more serious problem i.e. teeth being ground on the flywheel, which would mean pulling the transmission to repair the flywheel gear.

I'm not very mechanically inclined but I can usually fix most problems with instruction, or a repair book and help from friends.

Question #1 (Stuck Door)

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a easier way to fix without breaking the door panel? Any advice would be helpful.

Question #2 (Starter)

Do you think I would be ok just replacing the starter, or does it sound like the flywheel has been damaged?

Thanks for any help and taking the time to read this post.

Update: I was able to fix the problem with the stuck door, unfortunately I broke my door panel in the process and I'm not sure it was necessary to do so.

The problem in my case was that one of the three screws on my door that hold my latch assembly in place had came loose and jammed up against other screws on the car frame.

After removing all the inside trim around the door (specifically the one that holds the seat belt assembly) I was able to see the stuck screw in the door latch. After that I just use a flathead screwdriver with a hammer to bang it out.

Hopefully these instructions will save someone else the hassle of having to replace the door panel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
#1: I've never heard of than one, you might want to try a locksmith first, last time I had them jimmy a door it was $25, but sounds like it might be something like the entire linkage has come off of the release mechanism or something. Can't offer much help there.

#2: I'd try replacing the starter, get one from Autozone or the like (probably have to order it) but that way if it turns out to be a flywheel issue you can return the starter, just say it didn't fit and you've already ordered an oem one from a dealer (that'll usually shut 'em up about trying a different brand/exchanging).
That said, when you remove the old starter you should be able to easily see the condition of your flywheel teeth. I've had loads of starters go bad, never had a flywheel strip the teeth to the point of needing replacement. (-yet-)

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You could remove the starter and have a look at the condition of the gear on the starter. Maybe lubricate it,but it does sound like the ring-gear on the flywheel. It may be damaged on one section and the other sections are good, so a quick inspection may not tell you anything.

You should be able to gain access to the lock by removing the interior trim of the door, but with the door locked shut, you may have to tear/break some part.

·
Registered
2005 kia rio (base)
1 Posts
It sounds like you broke a spring in the door lock itself, I would take inner-door panel off-unhook the connecting rods that go to the lock, take out 2 or 3 screws that hold the lock. You can either try to buy a new spring at a hardware store or possibly like I did remove the spring and bend a new hook on the end and reinstall. It could also be as simple as lubing up the lock itself after you get the inner door panel off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd still bet on the solenoid on the starter dying, it's not fully engaging the flywheel hence the screeching as the gears just touch instead of meshing. The couple people I've known who had to replace flywheels usually didn't have any luck on the 2nd or 3rd attempt to start either, especially if there are broken teeth, you have to crank the engine over manually to get teeth the starter can grab onto.
One thing to do to fully inspect your flywheel once you remove the old starter is to put a socket & breaker bar on the crank nut (if you can fit one down there) and slowly hand-crank the engine over bit by bit until you have seen all of the flywheel teeth and its general condition. That should tell you how big a problem you really have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response guys, looks like I'll just have to remove the door panel (and maybe replace it) and inspect my flywheel and hope for the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts