Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
07' Sedona, 10' Forte Sed. SX
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys ....need help here. I've had my 2005 Sorento EX with Lux Pkg. about 3 weeks and I've noticed when in Auto trans mode flying down the highway 65 mph. I bump it over through the gate and the digital readout on the dash is at 4....???? Well, when the hell does it finally give in to 5th. gear ???? I can manually bump it into 5th. But, it never appears to get to 5th gear on its own in full auto mode. Any guesses before I bring it in.... software problem ...!?!??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But I thought the 2004 only came with a 4-speed auto........where are you findiing that 5th. gear !?!??

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
woops!!.....I meant to say I shift into 4th at 100 mph. I am sure that your 5th gear is up around there too. Try it out sometime.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When going into manual mode in the tiptronic box the default gear is 4th. If you were driving at 65 mph, your Sorento was in 5th and when going to Manual it will down shift to 4th, look at you RPM meter. If the box was on a lower gear then 4, when going to manual, it will keep that gear.

It does it on purpose because it assumes you do it for a reason like slowing down.

I find this feature on the Sorento a brilliant one.

I have another car with tiptronic, only 4 gears and when going to manual it will go to 3rd gear never 4th.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Ian , thanks for the reply......(and to all the others as well!)

Yours makes the most sense and when paying attention to the tachometer it seems to prove out what you say. In full Auto it feels as if it runs through all 5 gears, but it was the digital readout downshifting to 4th. that was a mystery to me. Not ever having a Tiptronic transmission before, I had no experience with this and even though I havn't gotten through to the service dept. yet, I'm confident they'll have no knowlege of it either...lol!!! Thanks again to all who replied.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The tiptronic is classed as a sport mode.
Flick it into 'tiptronic' and even not touching it, the gears will change automatically, but at much higher revs,you can of course change them where you want to. it will also change down where required, but only at extremes of the rev range both up and down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear 04Sorento,

I really don't think you're ever going to find the elusive 5th. gear on a 2004 .....and you're traveling way toooo fast.....you're going to flip the thing !!!!!

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Originally posted by jserrent@Feb 21 2005, 02:39 PM
Dear 04Sorento,

I really don't think you're ever going to find the elusive 5th. gear on a 2004 .....and you're traveling way toooo fast.....you're going to flip the thing !!!!!
I know Im not going to ever find 5th gear. I ment to say 4th! I dont travel that fast all of the time. Usually 65-70 mph.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by jserrent@Feb 21 2005, 08:39 PM
Dear 04Sorento,

Here in the UK, the 5 speed box has been available for over a year. :grin:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geeez Murph ....... I didn't think Korea would try prototype technology in the UK.....!!?!?? I mean I thought that's what France was for....????? oooooohhhh....just kidding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts