Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 Amanti on Oct. 29. On the third day with only 330 miles on it the entire transmission went out while traveling at 70 MPH.

Has anyone had similar transmission problems with the Amanti?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Nbaker

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nbaker.........a bummer......hope this is not an omen of things to come....I have had my Amanti for almost two years and it continues to shift flawlessly. I don't think there have been alot of posts reguarding tranny problems with the Amanti ( but the Optima is a different story, I think ) as most of the problems seem to be suspension related. Can you elaborate a little more in terms of describing precisely what happened???noise???? any pre-warning???. Hopefully your dealer replaced it in good order. I do recall a Toyota pick-up that I bought and with less than 300 miles the clutch had to be replaced....hope you can now enjoy this fine car.............................rayray :amen:

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
Hi RayRay, I am not aware of many transmission issues with the Optima other than drivers getting used to the self-learning function used by Kia with the tranny in the V6 version of the Optima. Maybe I am missing something in my reading all the posts here and elsewheres. The Optima has been one of the most reliable of Kia models to-date but Amanti seems a better choice for me in the future.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Schnauzer....You are probably right ..... as you can see I ended my statement with " I think" which implies my memory wants to say I read about tranny problems with the Optima somewhere but the source is hazy to be sure and maybe doesn't not exist at all....I agree with you the Optima has and continues to be an excellent buy. I really like the way it looks and would have purchased one had it not been for the "eye-catching" Amanti.........Now maybe I think the comments regarding the tranny were in the Edmunds group????? It does not matter anyway so let's hope that our mutual trannies last for a very long time. I would hope that Nbaker could provide us with info as to the particulars on his tranny breakdown as this might help us keep an ear and eye on things..................Regards, rayray :beer:

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
I'm with you RayRay. Let's hope transmission problems are a thing of the past for our Kia models. I get really tired of Kia getting beaten up by the auto press so am too vocal sometimes in coming to defense of the Optima specially. Maybe you remember from my past posts that I worked for Nissan Corp for many years and dealt with their publicity machinery. Ad money talks in many of the car magazines and reviewers are not necessarily fair and honest in their reviews. I remember Nissan taking a beating back in the 80's and how ad monies helped to get good reviews even though Nissan had engine and transmission issues in a couple of their popular models. Nissan is a good car company and I consider Kia learning the ropes today. Btw, I love the Amanti and hope to get one in about a year although I'll keep the Optima too. Have a great weekend RayRay!!

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
My Amanti has a slight whining noise when starting out in 1st gear. Is that a tranny problem? Bueller?

·
Registered
279 Posts
the whine may not be a problem but make sure you use the Diamond ATF fluid, only available at kia and honda I believe. No one else currently has it. Been looking around for it, no one else has it that I have seen. The wrong fluid can lead to transmission failure but not is 300 miles.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
Thanks for the reply RDNK4RE!

Yes, Kia/Hyundai ATF ONLY! Its also called SPIII. Also, I believe it is Mitsubishi that uses/used the same fluid. (hence the "Diamond")

The noise I have is just like an electric motor whirr, very similar to an electric golf cart. But I can only hear it with the radio down and the windows open.

I drove a Crown Victoria and a Lincoln Town Car rental a few years back and it made the same type of noise at low speed when starting out.

Maybe Its a Big Car thing! LOL

·
Registered
279 Posts
You would be correct it is/was mitsu, SP-III. I just bought 2 quarts at the dealer for a scant $7.98 each, a real deal at that price. Not. But unless it gets more widely used the dealer maybe the only place to buy a quart.

With todays quieter cars we as car buyers have been lulled to sleep so any little noise gets noticed.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Amanti
106 Posts
Yes, it is dealer only stuff. You can't go to your local auto parts store and buy SPIII. $8 bucks a quart is way hi! I can get it for about $5 a quart (most parts departments are willing to give you 10% or so off, if you persuade them, they know they are ripping you off)

Still, Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid costs about $5 a quart... so it is a rip, although I believe SPIII is semi-sythetic.

DON'T use Mobil 1 it in your Kia auto tranny though! Even though it is a great fluid and says on the bottle it is compatible with any other tranny fluid... IIRC it is too harsh on sensitive tranny components (solenoids etc)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know 8 bucks is high, amsoil is less. Oh sp-iii is only available at the dealer or actually amsoil does say it meets but I haven't seen anyone else's saying anything close including the new mobil 1 that is mercon/dexron III and mercon V.

Actually he gave me a break they wanted $13 something a quart. When I bought the car and van it was $25 a quart. :haha:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts