Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driving along at 50mph when the engine just seemed to die and wont restart. One shop seems to suspect the timing belt failed. If thats the case, what about valve damage? Is it possible the pistons can hit the valves and bend them? Ive already watched some videos and it looks fairly straight forward to access the timing belt. What else can I or should I investigate?
Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
I/We have a 2008 Hyundai Tiburon with the 2.7L V6 (same engine)... Got the car as salvage because it was hydrolocked from running through deep water.... Enough on that...
I replaced the engine with one from a 2003 KIA Optima at a "pull-a-part" salvage yard... I had no idea how many miles was on it... One day my wife was returning home (aprox 1 mile from home) when it just quit... Turned out it WAS the timing belt... (no compression) I tore the upper part of the engine down and found that all 6 of the exhaust valves were bent (slightly) and wouldn't close... Intake valves and the heads of the pistons were OK...
The exhaust valve guides were also OK... I replaced the 6 exhaust valves, lapped them, replaced the head gasket, and ALL of the head bolts (torque to yield ), and plenum and intake manifold gaskets, and of course replaced the timing belt... The job wasn't that hard but it was time consuming... You would need a good torque wrench, a torque to yield gauge, and follow to the letter the procedure to torque the head bolts... I'm an electronic tech and not a mechanic and was able to successfully save the engine... The "TIB" runs like new...It's been two years...
I would suggest pulling the TB cover(s) and visually inspect the TB for missing teeth or it being broken... A used engine is also an option and if you are mechanically minded it can be done in your driveway with an engine hoist (Harbor Freight)...
If you have any questions I'm here usually at least once a day...
Good Luck...
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I guess thats where Im at if the engine likely wiped out the valves. If you were to do it again.....which is the less of 2 evils? Just replacing the engine again with a junk yard donor or removing the heads and replacing the valves? I realize the junk yard engine would benefit from a fresh timing belt as well.....so Im doing a belt regardless!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sportage EX 2.7L
40 Posts
Just wondering how many miles or KM when this happened? Ours was changed at 120,000 miles which was double the spec. I was impressed that it didn't let go.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
For all who are reading I really have no idea what the mileage on the second (donor) engine... but when I tore down the first engine (hydrolocked)(87k) and inspected it then tore down the donor engine they both looked the same ...Very clean inside around the valves and the pistons had very little buildup on the top of them...

Jinxie
I would suggest at least that you tear down the engine (heads) and inspect what you have...
I don't know if you are the original owner and and don't know how well it was taken care of up till the belt failure... When I saw only some slight dimpling on two pistons and very slight bending of the valves and little to no damage to the valve stem sleeves I chose to replace the valves... (The valve seats were also not damaged and required minor lapping to marry the new valves to them)... The engine started right up like it had just been shut off with no noises...

These engines 4cyl and V6s are known to go over 300k miles if taken care of... I would suggest draining and refilling the trannys though as the "book" says every 30k miles...
and the fluid can turn to goo (internally) and plug valves and filters...

BTW....100k on the GATES replacement TBs is OK...
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this 2005 4wd at home and it wont run. Timing belt went so I need to tear the engine apart.
We cant see to get the car to roll. It maybe moves 1/10 of a revolution of the tires then it seems like the transmission is engaged.
Transmission is in neutral. Park brake is off.
Any tricks to these 4wd units when completely dead?

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
1,937 Posts
No need to multi post your request, things get a bit slow on weekend evenings around here(and many other forums).
I can't offer much help, as I've got a FWD Spectra sedan and am not that familiar with the 4WD of yours. But are you sure the brake pads/shoes are not sticking to the discs/drums?
Hope you get it figured out soon to get going on that BIG repair! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No need to multi post your request, things get a bit slow on weekend evenings around here(and many other forums).
I can't offer much help, as I've got a FWD Spectra sedan and am not that familiar with the 4WD of yours. But are you sure the brake pads/shoes are not sticking to the discs/drums?
Hope you get it figured out soon to get going on that BIG repair! :)
Thanks.....originally posted in wrong forum.....didnt know how to delete. I'll have to try and jack it up tomorrow and see if there is a wheel stuck.Weird because I can roll it about 1ft forward/back then it locks up

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Sounds like the ebrake is stuck on (brake cable)... I'm not sure if there is a set of drum brakes for the ebrake or if they used the brake pads (disk brake for both)... I just replaced the rear brakes (pads and rotors) on my daughter's 08 Hyundai Sonata (same as an Optima) and found that it has a small drum brake for the ebrake and shoes... The shoes and hardware were toast and I ended up having to replace all the ebrake parts...

I would suggest checking the ebrake/parking brake cables with the ebrake lever down (off) If there is tension on the cables they are probably bad...

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts