Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm trying to smog this 2004 Kia Spectra LX 2.0L Automatic. The first smog failed because the Check Engine Light wasn't working and I replaced it, but passed emissions. Then the second smog failed again because the OBD system was not ready to test and the emissions numbers got worse, but still passed emissions. Then I erased the memory and drove it for 40 miles, but the OBD scanner was not able to get results on 4 tests and after a while the engine light came on. Then I used a different OBD scanner and it showed P0501 - Vehicle Speed Sensor "A" Range/Performance. So I replaced the speed sensor, erased the memory, and the light was off. Drove it for like 20 miles and the light came on, but after 10 more miles the light was off. Did OBD scan and the P0501 was there. Erased the memory again, drove it for 15 miles, light came on, drove it 5 more miles and light was off but P0501 still there.

Can somebody please tell me what is wrong. At Least please give me a suggestion or guidance what to do. This is getting really frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
I'd say you are not giving the ECM enough miles and time to test itself BEFORE you reset the ECM and try again... Give the ECM the time (and mileage) to check everything and DON'T reset it...It will clear the P0501 AFTER it concludes the ALL of it's tests... You are getting overly nervous trying too hard...too fast...
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd say you are not giving the ECM enough miles and time to test itself BEFORE you reset the ECM and try again... Give the ECM the time (and mileage) to check everything and DON'T reset it...It will clear the P0501 AFTER it concludes the ALL of it's tests... You are getting overly nervous trying too hard...too fast...
Dave
How much more miles do you think I should drive it? It has like 40 miles now after the reset.

What confuses me is the fact that the light comes on with the code, but then the light is off and the code is still there with 3 other test blinking on the OBD scanner, assuming they are not completed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave
Here is an update from today. I continued driving it to work without resetting and the check engine light came on, P0501 still there. On my way back home, the light turned off and P0501 still there. My OBD scanner has green, yellow, and red light on it. When the check engine light is on, the scanner's red light is on. When the check engine light is off, the scanner's yellow light is on (I don't know if this will help anyone with a clue).

Please someone tell me what could the problem be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts