Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever the weather is rainy/cold a whole bunch of electronic parts won't work. This includes the tail lights, intermittent wipers, rear defrost, power windows and locks, dash lights. When the weather is fine there is no problem at all.
The other problem (may be related?) is sometimes when I turn the headlights the car will not shift from Park into drive or reverse. As soon as I turn the lights off it's fine. Took it to a dealer and they are unable to locate the source of the problem.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
I would focus your search around the front wheel wells, specifically the side where the internal fuse panel is. Sounds like it's shorting out or losing ground when wet.

The issue with the light switch may be a different location, with a shorted wire in the multiswitch, or related with the issue closer to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Look behind the left plastic kick panel by where your foot rests. Lots of connections behind it where water can get to. Also look at the BCM (body control module) under the dash as it control most of the items you mention.. Look for bad ground connections on the inner firewall... Is this a 2004 or a 2004.5 model? They changed to a "new" body/engine/tranny nearly 1/2 way into the year that they kept until 2009.
Read the older posts on 2004.5 and newer Spectras as we just went through one very similar to yours that acted up in cool/damp/rainy weather...

ratsttam...
My "pet" name for my 06 Spectra is my "BLUE PHEONIX"... I saved it from the salvage yard in 2010 with only 24k on it. Spark Blue in color and it arose from the dead..
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
Elivictus...
Check out the thread by Heatherskia... on an 04 Spectra.
Tom had the SAME problem as you are having and ended up replacing the BCM/ETACS/Fuse ass'y and this cured ALL his problems...
Dave

·
Registered
24 Posts
Elivictus,

Indeed, your first set of symptoms sound identical to those we had in my wife's car. They started appearing when the car was cold and went away once the car warmed up. Eventually, the problems became constant. I solved the problem by replacing the cabin fuse box which contains the ETACS/BCM (a circuit board). See my thread that Dave references for more info. If you have any questions, I am more than happy to help.

Sorry, I cannot address your second problem. I strongly suspect it is unrelated.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts