Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a 04 spectra where both the speedometer and AC stop working after a while. I have tried a evap sensor form the pick a part, put a resistor in line and it stills shuts down the ac clutch. What else controls the AC clutch? The tri pressure switch is also good. The speedo i tried a new VSS still stops after a short drive. Any thing I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your Profile/Account Details

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

Kia Forum

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.
I have been working on a 04 spectra where both the speedometer and AC stop working after a while. I have tried a evap sensor form the pick a part, put a resistor in line and it stills shuts down the ac clutch. What else controls the AC clutch? The tri pressure switch is also good. The speedo i tried a new VSS still stops after a short drive. Any thing I am missing?
Is this kia a 2004 or a 2004.5? In 2004.5 they replaced the Spectra with the "new" Spectra... Everything changed...
The new one had a problem with a wire from the speed sensor to the dash cluster (speedometer)... No one ever went as far as to find what actually was the problem but a new wire run solved the intermittent no speedo...

The HVAC on the new Spectra ... Have you checked for 12v on the wire going to the compressor when the AC is turned on? If the voltage is still there when the AC quits then you have a bad AC clutch... If it drops to 0 then it's farther back in the wiring... There is an AC relay under the hood that may be failing... Try swapping it with another (like the horn relay)... The HVAC controls (center of the dash) may be also failing and they are pretty cheap at a P-A-P yard... The AC system also has a low pressure sensor that if the refrigerant is low will shut down the compressor's clutch... also the expansion valve (mounted on firewall) can fail...The AC lines attach to it at the firewall...

Check these things out and get back to us... I'm pretty busy fixing friends and family items (refrigerator/washer/cars/etc) so I may not get back to you right away...
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The control to the relay under the dash is having the ground dropped. I figured this out during trouble shooting. The AC clutch will have power and no ground. Jumping the relay will engage the clutch. Swapped relays and still happens. Some how the control of the ground to the relay is being shut off. I jumped the pressure switch and it did not work. All pressures are correct so I don't see the expansion valve as an issue.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible the coolant temp. sensor is reading to high and turning the ac compressor off?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
The ground for the AC clutch is attached to the frame of the compressor with a screw...
By jumping the relay contacts and the clutch engages then all wiring from the relay to the clutch is good...
The pressure sensor being bypassed removes that from the equation.. There is a temperature sensor attached to the evaporator to sense freeze up of the coil...That could also cause the system to shut off...
You said "The control to the relay under the dash is having the ground dropped." I didn't know that there was a relay by itself involved with the AC... Is that within the HVAC control module?
Lots of relays have +12v on one side of their coils and they ground the other side to control the relay's switching...
When the clutch is manually powered do you have cold air? ...
The thermistor on the evaporator coil feeds the HVAC control and "if" it wrongly senses a freeze up then the control module would turn off the clutch relay... How do you know that the refrigerant levels are correct? Have you actually measured the amount of R134a in the system? What are your low and high pressure readings with the AC running?
Not enough air through the evaporator coil could cause it to freeze... Have you checked the cabin air filter located behind the glove box? If it is plugged with dirt not enough air will pass through the evaporator coil...

If I'm being too simplistic it's because I don't know how educated you are with the HVAC system...I'm not attacking you ... just giving thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pressures are 50 low and 150 to 200 high, the relay is under the hood, the computer is switching the ground on the relay to switch the relay on the deliver the power to the clutch. I tried a evap temp sensor from P A P and when I ran down the freeway it was fine, last drive was stop and go and about half way on the engine temp gauge it shut off, today it ran fine but I did not have time to get it up to the half way mark cabin filter is clean

·
Registered
2004 Kia Spectra
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After checking the engine coolant temp. with my data stream on a code reader, I found the coolant temp registering at 240 deg. the gauge was only at half mark. At the 240 reading the AC is turned off and did not come back on until under 230 deg. I replaced the thermostat and the temp sensor and so far the data stream has not gone over 206 deg and the AC has worked fine.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
878 Posts
Good job Frank, and a tip of the hat to Dave! This is how these forums should work!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts