Kia Forum banner

2004 Sorrento New Fuel pump car won't start???..

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  ron1004 
#1 ·
A little background daughters car she was driving along car became sluggish pulled over shut car off and car never started again
Which led us to believe fuel.
pump issues as her fuel gauge has been non functional for months....
Installed new fuel pump and I'm getting fuel on outlet side of pump ..none to the return side ....I have tried starting fluid in the air cleaner intake and the car trys to start so I'm getting spark from ignition ...my problems lie elsewhere ...I can't seem to find information anywhere about the fuel regulator and roll it plays as the fuel pump does not come on unless I manually jump out the relay ..I have also swapped the relays with multiple matched relays so relay and fuse seems to be intact ... Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point .

#3 ·
A little background daughters car she was driving along car became sluggish pulled over shut car off and car never started again
Which led us to believe fuel.
pump issues as her fuel gauge has been non functional for months....
Installed new fuel pump and I'm getting fuel on outlet side of pump ..none to the return side ....I have tried starting fluid in the air cleaner intake and the car trys to start so I'm getting spark from ignition ...my problems lie elsewhere ...I can't seem to find information anywhere about the fuel regulator and roll it plays as the fuel pump does not come on unless I manually jump out the relay ..I have also swapped the relays with multiple matched relays so relay and fuse seems to be intact ... Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point .
I would have checked the fuel pressure before changing the pump - diagnostic approach always works out cheaper.

If it doesn't start and run well on the starter fluid, then it points to issues such as timing.

What's the mileage, the service history, when last was the timing belt changed?

I'd start be checking the timing belt and ensuring that the timing marks are 100% correct.

#4 ·
the fuel pump does not come on unless I manually jump out the relay ..I have also swapped the relays with multiple matched relays so relay and fuse seems to be intact ... Any advice would be greatly appreciated at this point .
The pump should come on for a short time when the ignition is turned on, and will only come on again if it sees the crank and camshaft position sensors pulses in synch.

The similar looking FP relays from AutoZone etc. don't seem to work, so you'll hear most around here advise OEM for that.

#5 ·
To answer all of above questions it was a complete unit replacement of fuel pump...and was a decision made due to fact that sending unit for fuel gauge had been malfunctioning for months anyway ...and the similar relays used were from internal sources inside vehicle of know functioning equipment...def relay, head(hi)relay ...etc.etc.etc I swapped relays with all matching relays in main. Relay fuse box

#7 ·
...I have tried starting fluid in the air cleaner intake and the car trys to start ....
Ron already posted on what you wrote above, but just for the heck of it I'll try once more. What does 'trys to start' mean? The vehicle should start, run fine for a few seconds, and then die from lack of fuel. If it doesn't do that, the problem goes beyond a fuel issue.

#8 ·
If I had a way to feed it starting fluid it would stay running so yes I would say it died from lack of fuel ...that still leaves the puzzle of why there is no fuel in return line but outlet line has pressurized at pump which led to above questions about the fuel regulator and its relationship to fuel rail and injectors

#10 ·
The fuel pump relay has four prongs two small and two large. Make a jumper and plug in with the fuel pump running will the vehicle start. If not go to Advance or Auto Zone and get a loaner fuel pump tester. Thread on the schrader valve drivers side fuel rail Check pressure you need around 39psi. If low but still has pressure pressure regulater is located pass. side back of engine on fuel rail. If no pressure you either have the wrong fuel filter or bad pump. I got the wrong filter and ran into this problem. If engine runs check two small terminals to fuel pump relay one side should be hot The ECU should supply the ground when trying to start. Check for ten amp fuse. I use a logic probe to check these prongs.

#11 ·
I am by no means a trained mechanic but I have been fixing my own cars for well over 20 years. Assuming can cause a lot of frustration and cost a lot of money. Why did we assume fuel? Did you diagnose the fuel pump before replacing? I had a bad sending unit on my 05 Sorento but the fuel pump was just fine. Two completely different circuits. Did you pull codes out of the computer?

#13 ·
Hi Just saw your question and thought I would mention how I fixed my car cutting out when driving. Bought a Kia Sorento 2005, drove great for 8 months then started cutting out when driving/accelerating/driving up a hill. Called the RAC who advised the engine fuel filter, took the car to the garage and had this replaced. The car continued to cut out when accelerating, especially driving up a hill (on one occasion I had to free wheel back down the hill in traffic only to get stuck on a speed hump half way down, as no room either side to avoid it).

Went on this Kia forum and a member posted a thread about issues with the fuel filter under the rear seat (in the fuel tank) getting clogged with the paint of the fuel tank walls, which meant little fuel was getting to the engine. Called out the breakdown services again and asked if they would kindly help me look at this fuel filter in the fuel tank. This very helpful mechanic unbolted the trap door (under the rear seat), pulled out the fuel filter which was clogged with paint debris! He cleaned it, fitted it all back together (about 15 minutes work) and the car has never had a problem with cutting out again!

Hope this may help and answer others queries about their car cutting out, as I found that no other mechanics I spoke to knew about this issue in Sorentos rear fuel filters.

#14 ·
Hi Kia Sorento 2005 3.5 v6
Starts and runs for 300mtr stops wont start.
tow home. No fuel got after market pump and filter (sits next to pump) fitted ran 300 mtr stopped. After 15 min start limp home just. in spected pump filter unit checked seal out of filter none remembered on dimantel black sludge at that spot.
Found out no seal available only complete assy pump filter unit to fix. got a cheapest one of ebay europe usa ones different.
Do not use high octane 98 and above for fuel seals melt.

#15 ·
Hi Kia Sorento 2005 3.5 v6
Starts and runs for 300mtr stops wont start.
tow home. No fuel got after market pump and filter (sits next to pump) fitted ran 300 mtr stopped. After 15 min start limp home just. in spected pump filter unit checked seal out of filter none remembered on dimantel black sludge at that spot.
Found out no seal available only complete assy pump filter unit to fix. got a cheapest one of ebay europe usa ones different.
Do not use high octane 98 and above for fuel seals melt.
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.