Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just picked up a 2004 Sorento with 310,000 miles on it. It has some oil leaks but I'm having trouble determining where it is coming from. I just replaced the valve cover gaskets that were leaking but I still have a leak that looks like it may be a rear main because there is some oil coming out between the transmission and engine. After looking into it a little there is a lot of info saying that with some newer, 2011 up Sorento models it is common for the oil pressure sensor to leak and that it is misdiagnosed as a rear main seal because it leaks out under the intake manifold, through a weep hole and into a spot between the engine and transmission. I don't see anything online about that being an issue on 2004 models. Does anyone know what years this oil pressure sensor leak is an issue on? I had the intake manifold off when I changed out the valve cover gaskets and didn't see oil in between the heads, but I really wasn't looking that deep into it at the time. Should I just go ahead and do the rear main seal or is it more than likely the oil pressure switch?

Second question,
How hard is it to do the rear main seal? It doesn't look to hard to disconnect the transmission and either pull it back or drop it out of the way. The last rear main I did was on a 2.3L Ford years ago.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento, 2006, 2.5 ltr, CRDi XT, Diesel Auto
12 Posts
Hello,

I once had a similar problem on an old Peugeot. I took the car back to the garage I'd bought it from and they replaced the sump gasket several times, insisting that that's where the problem was. However, when I got underneath and had a good long look with a bright torch I could see that the oil was leaking between the engine and transmission, not from the rear of the sump at all. So I took the crankcase breather apart, removed the rather rusty wire wool that was in it, made sure everything was spotlessly clean, and replaced the old rusty wool with fresh wire wool. I used the same sort of thing you buy as a pan scourer. I also made sure the pipe that ran from the breather to the air intake filter was clean, as this helped to suck air from the crankcase. These combined measures solved the problem, and I had no more oil leaks from the rear of the engine.

Basically, what was happening was that the crankcase was pressurising because the breather was partly blocked. This was forcing oil out of the rear main bearing. By cleaning out the breather it allowed the crankcase pressure to normalise, and the oil baffles on the rear main were then able to prevent oil from leaking past them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts