Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting a misfire on #3 cyl. Changed coil pack, plugs, wires. Used after market plugs. Now, is still sluggish but mush better. Was wondering if anyone has had problems with aftermarket plugs and aftermarket coil pack. Are these critical items that i must stick with oem parts to make run right? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have misfire as well, at idle only. I already changed the plugs. On occasion I get a check engine light and when I scan the code I usually get the TPS/Transmission code (I think its 1171?) so I'm pretty much aiming on that as the issue and it may be your problem as well. I didn't want to go for the coil packs yet as I didn't have that gut feeling that those are an issue. So the question I have for all on this forum...Is there really THAT much hocus pocus on replacing a TPS sensor using a volt meter? I look for turtorials and many say (more or less) slap it on and go. IF I had to use a volt meter, them where in the heck can I take readings from with the probes? The connectors are all encased in plastic. I saw an ebay auction for the "new updated" TPS for about 40 dollars and thought about giving it a go. If someone could please steer the both of us in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
Cappdiesel, I would stick with OEM plugs. I heard people having issues with aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,365 Posts
maksik, you are correct to a point. The term OEM can be a bit confuseing. OEM in this instance (at least for the older models) can be Champion or NGK. Stay away from the exotic spark plugs. Getting these things in and out is a bugger. Stick a plug in there that will last the 60K interval and forget about them.

On the TPS if you can't back probe the connector your going to have to either strip wire or get a scanner. I don't recommend the first.

·
Registered
03'VW Passat - mine | 03'Sorento EX 4X4 - hers
234 Posts
For TPS back probe I wold recommend to use paper clip (just unfold it or straighten out) and it's tiny enough for back probe.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento
6 Posts
Did you have your timing belt changed? It may be off a tooth or two. That will certainly cause a misfire and rough idle. I know. It happened to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts