Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, need some help, but think my Sorento is dead now, but would like your views.

I have a 2004 Kia Sorento, auto diesel. It has done me well, however losing a job means no money for any real repairs, so Im guessing I may have to write it off to a degree.

Sometime ago, there was a lot of bumping then banging, I stopped and there was just an awful noise, cut a long story short the UY? part of the front prop had gone.

Once back I noted the auto gearbox numbers didnt line up, say putting the car in d for drive, it was half in and half out of the other gear but once in auto it drive ok.

Now the car is bobling/banging around and I fear the front prop may have damaged the transmission.

Can anyone advise since the part of the UY? is none serviceable, is there any come back on to Kia to help pay?

Ive read about the guy having this happen in France, any others?

Feel gutted

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
What model? Transfer case is TOD or EST? The UJ IS servicable, The CVJ is not if you have a model with CVJ on one end of prop. Front props are available on Ebay (or were when I last looked for someone else) cheaper than oem. Remove the front prop and see how it goes, it won't hurt.

If TOD also remove fuse 13 in drivers footwell to disable transfer case electrics (not essential but a quick way to eliminate/confirm the transfer case as the potential issue.

Check any stored error codes in ECU.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
is there any come back on to Kia to help pay?
Sorry I didn't answer this bit. Basically failure of the UJ/CVJ (Universal Joint/Constant Velocity Joint - which has a rubber boot over it) is a maintenance (lack of) problem. Typically there is a grease nipple on the UJ and if not greased will eventually fail. Most garages will miss it/avoid it as it is hard to get at (and I don't think it is specifically mentioned in the schedule). Can't say I have ever heard of Kia helping outside warranty - and there have been a few failures of the front propshaft.

You have a 4-speed auto or 5-speed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
sorry to forum jump on you, hope your problem is fixed, I am new to this and this is my first post, but I am at a lost right now, 03 sorento awd, my mother had her tires replaced in the front, well at walmart I guess they don't know the difference in tires and don't know you cant do that to this vehicle, anyways to make it short, it made this loud like popping noise, I told her tires are different size as in the side walls where wider, so she went and had the backs replaced as well. still didn't work it is popping if I push the gas down a lil for more speed, but it stops if I pull the #13 fuse kick panel tccs fuse, does it awd reg and 4low. I notice I can see the bearing on the front of the front short shaft from tcase to the trans I think. and has a lil play in it if jerked around, I'm really at a lost here I need help from someone if possible. thank you very much in advance

1 - 6 of 6 Posts