Kia Forum banner

2004 Sorento Finding cause of smoke or steam

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  bealert 
#1 ·
Hi folks--A few weeks ago had to replace tie rods and from what I've read it involves removing the steering column. A week later stopped at light I saw a puff of smoke coming from hood at front passenger- Pulled off road and it stopped when I shut off - I have a great mechanic so went right back and he looked all over the engine but didn't find anything wrong.
2 weeks later it happened again yesterday- I was parking and shutting off when the smoke appeared- It stopped immediately once parked. Went back again and now he wants to do a diagnostic etc. tomorrow
Yesterday a neighbor checked the area for me and found a hose connected from the power steering fluid to a box of sorts was greasy but car shut off so not dripping. He thinks it could be dripping now and then onto the alternator or exhaust which is hot and creates a puff of smoke...Hopefully it's a simple fix.

My question is--- did mechanic have to disassemble this hose and perhaps didn't secure it properly? The only thing keeping it together seems to be a squeeze clamp- could it be as simple as tightening that??
Thanks so much for help- I'm scheduled to go to mechanic tomorrow - and can't afford 85/hr just to find what he would have to warranty....:(

#2 ·
My guess is the valve cover gasket. They get a slow weeping leak and drip off the back side on to the exhaust manifold. Pull the inner wheel liner and you will see inside. It also could be used to look for the PS leak if that is going on.

#3 ·
Is that slow weep from the valve cover gasket fixable? I had the gasket changed on my 2005 3.5lt Ex 5sp auto & was good for a few months but now seems to be back again. Is it possible that it happens more when oil is full rather than 3/4 on the dip stick?
Sorry to hijack your thread bealert >:D

#6 ·
Thanks-- guess the gasket is possible but as far as location of the smoke - or steam -it comes from FRONT right side of hood- which I think is closer to the power steering fluid hose. Can't seem to get an answer if mechanic had to remove power steering unit and hose during tie rods replacEments- Do you know??

#7 ·
Have you tried just leaving it running when you see the smoke so you can try to pinpoint it? I'd suspect that power steering connection since your neighbor said it was greasy. I'm new to Kia, so don't know if your mechanic had to take it loose or not. Sorry about that.

#8 ·
Thanks Chuzz-- It happens so seldom hadn't thought of that because I kinda freak when I see it. From talking with mechanic a few minutes ago he said no - didn't have to remove the p-steering unit-- but agrees it shouldn't look greasy so it could drip periodically on the exhaust - The smoke comes from that area though [front right passenger side under hood] it disappears as soon as the leak is burnt up I guess....
Won't be going to mechanic today because he said it isn't that serious and can wait until after Thxgiving. And my son is taking me to Tahoe for my birthday too on Monday....Will come back here after seeing mechanic with the answer just in case it helps someone else with the same issue...
HAPPY THANKSGIVING -

#10 · (Edited)
2004 Sorento Power steering fluid light

PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW --new discovery.....
it is the HEAD GASKET

2004 SORENTO 4X4 LX
Thought the dash alert was for window wash fluid because I checked the manual-- so figured no big deal..would fill it eventually -- the periodic rain helped me procrastinate............[go ahead laugh] :D .
UNTIL the light would not go off -- I feel like a bit stupid now..:rolleyes::rolleyes:..... figured it out that the icons were similar for power steering fluid so immediately got fluid-

A friend poured it because it was at the low line ---but went a bit lower than the High line because he said the fluid would expand...and possibly overflow damaging the pump.... OK what do I know...
Took it for drive -- light goes out when I brake but otherwise it stays on and will not go off - Car runs and turns great- If I can get friend to get the fluid up to the High line would it expand and overflow?? Is light staying on because it's not at the High line ---- OR How else to get the light to go out??
Thanks for input - even though everyone is busy with the coming holidays would appreciate opinions.
Cheers:beer:
Katy

#11 ·
Tahoe was great - no snow though -

I posted a new thread because a friend helped me figure out the problem and it was nothing like I presented here - so gotta figure how to delete the post.
Please read my thread using my user name "bealert" or search 2004 power steering fluid light- Thanks!

#12 · (Edited)
Now we think the hose that feeds fluid to pump may have a small leak - and periodically drips on the hot metal below- causing the "steam" I mentioned earlier
UPDATE----not sure anyone is viewing but here goes.........Driving today and the puff of smoke happened - was right around corner of my mechanic..He checked and found it is the HEAD GASKET going bad - along with a leaky hose leading to the power steering fluid pump.
$600 - to do the gasket -
EDITING THIS POST::::
I am devastated and it is a huge decision to fix this because 2 months ago I had to do the tie rods $600 and I am fearful to fix the gasket and then something else goes bad....We have catalytic converters in CA and I dread that could go ...
I doubt I can ask mechanic to abort the job if he finds any damage to the engine when he pulls the gasket - because he would still have to replace the gasket for me to drive it away...This is my third year with the car and up to now only had to replace the starter.It has 160K miles so maybe someone can tell me if these KIA cars just fall apart at that mileage???
If so.......I'm likely looking at a hopeless situation.
There goes Christmas--- but Merry Christmas everyone and may your Kia keep running smoothly. I still love the car.

#13 ·
Chuzz - thanks for reply earlier- Couldn't figure how to delete both my threads that were nowhere
near the actual problem...thought the power steering fluid was landing on hot metal but not what is happening......so here is the update:
Mechnic showed me where the Head Gasket is leaking--on both sides and when it drip
I get a puff of smoke - that stops quickly.
600.00 mostly labor-
Remove replace valve cover gaskets--
Rear Cam seal
Replace oil

Does that sound like a fair price - [here in California of course where the air costs $$$]
I'm stuck since mechanic said don't drive - because if leak cracks the block -etc--
Thinking I'll sell it right away - I can't afford to keep fixing the drip drip things that are
happening. Sad, cuz I love the car...
Thanks for your thoughts~
Katy

#16 ·
Thanks for reply- dropped the car to mechanic - he will use rubber VALVE COVER gaskets since cork is not dependable...Sure went down the wrong road on this one- Thought the leak was from power steering fluid and then the head gasket but it was the valve cover gaskets....
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.