Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently my 04 Sedona with 105k miles began to steer stiffer than normal. It's seems to be harder steering right than left, but is a bit stiff steering left as well, and seems to go from stiff to normal to stiff while turning, like it's grabbing. It is the stiffest when first starting out. Any info would be appreciated

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey gman2083, im having the same problem with my 2005 sedona, kia flushed my powersteering system to cure the problem, however, no improvement. Looking for
solutions, obviouly the kia tech can't figure it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am having, I believe, the u-joints replaced. If that's not the problem, then it's the rack and pinion. The shop I took it to believed it was the joints, however. They contacted the local Kia dealer and was told that it was a common problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Yes, the lower steering shaft is common, I sell a few a year. I'm sure this will solve your problem.

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,971 Posts
i would think that if its harder to steer in one direction than the other it could be a problem with the rack and pinon (linear actuator)

·
Registered
2004 Sedona EX 3.5L
29 Posts
The problem is the intermediate steering shaft. They have a tech bulletin that describes that corrosion causes the u joints on the engine compartment side to stick. I solved this problem on my van by oiling the steering shafts u joints with 3 in 1 oil, and then followed with a little engine oil. It was an immediate fix. Funny thing was that I purchased a replacement intermediate steering shaft that is now sitting on a shelf in my garage because the oil worked so good. So far it has been one year with smooth easy steering after oiling it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts