Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2004 Sedona occasionally has a problem where the accellerator pedal has no response. The car will be going, but it is basically idling, and no matter what you do to the pedal, the car has no response. After a few seconds, 5-20 seconds, it becomes responsive again. Normally it's during the first 5-10 minutes of driving, and usually only once. Impossible to reproduce on command, been to dealer twice (three times) with no fix yet. The third time they said 'take it to another dealer'

First has anyone else had this and did you ever get it fixed?
Second, if it is never fixed what can I do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just started getting the same problem. I have a 2004 Kia Sedona auto 2.9 diesel. Done 7000 miles. It's with the dealer but so far they haven't found a problem. It only occured 4 times, and does appear to be 10-15 mins after starting.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi there,

This isn't anything to do with cold weather is it. I noticed on a recall website over there in America the following

2004 KIA SEDONA VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:CABLES
Recall Date: 07/20/2005

Summary:
ON CERTAIN MINI VANS, FREEZING CONDITIONS CAN CAUSE WATER ON THE THROTTLE CABLE TO FREEZE DURING NORMAL OPERATION. RESISTANCE TO MOVEMENT OF THE THROTTLE CABLE CAN OCCUR WHEN THE DRIVER LIFTS THEIR FOOT OFF OF THE GAS PEDAL.

Consequence:
THIS CAN CAUSE THE CABLE TO STICK, THUS PREVENTING THE ENGINE FROM RETURNING TO IDLE AND CAUSING THE VEHICLE TO MAINTAIN SPEED OR ACCELERATE. SUCH AN EVENT CAN OCCUR WITHOUT WARNING AND COULD CAUSE A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MODIFY A PROTECTIVE SLEEVE AROUND THE THROTTLE CABLE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 15, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KIA AT 1-800-333-4542.

Potential Units Affected: 118447

Notes: KIA SEDONA SC-051

It said it only related to petrol version, and this was for a sticking accelerator but I guess it could work the other way. Mind you I am not particularly good with mechanical things.

Regards

Ashley :beer:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The daytime temp was between 6c and 13c, and the engine was warmed up. The problem is that rather than maintaining revs, the revs fall way quickly to idle no matter how much I stomp of the pedal. It as though the accelerator pedal has stopped working. Then all of a sudden after up to, say, a minute the pedal works again and revs come back up. When the problem is occurring, I can switch off the engine and restart but the problem hasn't gone away.

The RAC reckoned its drive by wire and some sensor which detects pedal travel is not working properly; but they weren't able to diagnose the fault. In fact it turned out that the RAC's diagnostic software doesn't know about post 2001 kia 2.9 diesels - so much for UK Kia assist!

·
Registered
2006 Scion xA, 1972 VW Super Beetle, 1971 VW Type 2 (w/ Hightop)
697 Posts
Originally posted by geoffhazel@Oct 9 2005, 12:58 AM
Our 2004 Sedona occasionally has a problem where the accellerator pedal has no response. The car will be going, but it is basically idling, and no matter what you do to the pedal, the car has no response.
Just to be clear, regardless of how much you depress the accelerator pedal, the RPMs remain constant at idle speed? It doesn't rev and stumble? Since you didn't mention it, I'm guessing no check engine light, right? :57:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Answers:
1) when the fault is occurring, the first thing that happens is that the revs being to drop and recover then drop over a few seconds. Pressing the accelerator seems to coax the revs but I can't eb sure. Then the revs drop to idle. At this point no matter how much you press the accellerator the revs stay at idle.
2) milage is six thousand nine hundred and forty miles (6940)
3) no engine lights come on

·
Registered
'09 Kia Carnival, '10 Kia Grand Carnival
243 Posts
Scary one. Is it a "Fly by Wire" electronic throttle? I just went outside & checked our 2.5 petrol Carnival & it's definitely an old-fashioned steel cable. Thank goodness for that! Good luck with the problem. :57:

·
Registered
Sorento
36 Posts
And what happened next?

Are they fixed or is it still a problem?

Please tell me that you found the problem?

It’s like reading a book and the end pages are ripped out.

Old Man

·
Registered
7 Posts
Kia Sedona 2003 diesel crdi 2.9 in the UK.

The fault on my car was realised once it was happening on every single journey.
The temp gauge was going up to 3/4 and the accelerator pedal starting cutting out, so I was rolling along at idle revs.

The rear heater pipes which run under the car from front to back was corroded and leaking near the spare wheel.
Because the pipes are connected at intervals with rubber pipes, I just disconnected closer to the front and linked the two rubber pipes with 15mm copper pipe in a U-shape with straight solder couplers on the ends for a snug fit and something for the clips to hug onto.
Then refilled with coolant.

No more rear heater for now, which is fine as I didn't use anyway. But more importantly...... NO MORE PEDAL PROBLEMS.

The car temp gauge stays below the half way point, and is back running properly.

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts