Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2004 Sedona from a dealer a year and a half ago. The dealer had just replaced the AC compressor. The day after I bought the van the AC kept shutting off. The green light would turn off and then air blew warm. When I turn the AC off and then back on the light would come back on and blow cold air. A few times I heard a loud screeching noise when the AC was on. I brought it back to the dealer, which also has a service dept. I was told that they tightened a belt that is manually tightened and it should be better now. Air stayed on and blew cold for a day or two, then back to sometimes shutting off and blowing warm. It has been this way for the following year and half. Now, it is summer again and SO HOT! I have to figure this out. Now, the AC will turn on and blow cold in the morning, still shuts itself off but I turn it off and back on again and it blows pretty cold. However, in the afternoon and for the rest of the day the AC will not get cold. I live in Florida and sitting in the heat probably makes the AC harder to get cool. I turn the AC on in the afternoon or evening and the temp is kinda cool, mostly warm. It shuts itself off more often in the afternoon and on too. The temp is not cool like it should be though. The longer I drive the cooler the AC it seems to get. I work 30 min from home, so when I am just getting home it seems to start getting cooler, but not much. The AC also shuts off more when I am not driving at a good and steady speed. When driving slower or slowing down/stopping the AC shuts off. AC also shuts off more often on any other setting than #2, or when the rear AC is also on. The engine runs loud when AC is on. The gauge for vehicle temp never runs hot and no other issues with the van. Well, windshield wipers on first setting suddenly just stops working. I turn off and back on a few times and it works again. Any thoughts on my AC problem? I have recharged the freon but still the same issues.

·
Registered
2004 kia sedona
17 Posts
Is your A/C compressor pulley turning when you have it turned on? Check the pressure of your refrigerant, you more have overcharged it or you may have a leak some where.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pulley and fans are working on the AC. The freon was added about six months ago, but it didn't help much and still shut itself off all the time. Yesterday I checked the freon and it was low. I added more, actually more than I should have I think because it started a loud screeching noise. This morning the AC was cold and did not shut off! On my lunch break I drove to the store and turned the AC on. I heard the same awful screeching noise. Maybe I filled it too full? I turned it off and back on again. After a couple more times of screeching and on and off, the noise stopped happening. Is the screeching from too much freon? The real test will be to see what happens on my way home from work today. See if it gets cold or shuts itself off. Wish me luck! I read that if the pressure switch is bad it will stop the crank from working. That will be my next try if problem still exists...

·
Registered
2004 kia sedona
17 Posts
There are many things that will shut off the compressor. The pressure switch is one, I had to replace mine recently. There is also a thermistor on the evaperator behind the dash, an ambient temperater sensor in front of the radiator behind the grill, and a coolant temperature sensor. When I over charged my system it didn't make a screeching noise. All it did was kick on for a few seconds and then shut off for about 15 seconds then tried to kick on for a few seconds. It just kept doing that until I blew off enough refrigerant so it was over charged anymore. I'm wondering if maybe the clutch, clutch coil, or the compressor it self is going out. I just had to replace the coil and clutch on mine, it wasn't making a screeching noise before it went out but it deffinitly was loud. Check the belt on the A/C pulley, make sure it isn't to loose or tight or worn out, either of thoswe could cause that screech noise. An old worn out belt on my other car would always squeel on the power steering pump. Check out the kia tech website at www.kiatechinfo.com it's free to register. You can find all kinds of usful info on it for your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problem on my2003 Sedona

Your A/C problem is very similar to what I have experienced with our 2003 Sedona with 55K miles. We also live in Florida. The KIA dealer diagnosed the intermitant A/C problem as a faulty control unit. In addition, the condensor was found to be leaking and needed replacement. The harmonic balancer was also worn and needed replacement. (The adjustment pulley for the A/C_Alternator serpentine belt was replaced by a local shop prior to the dealer A/C repair) After spending $1498 at the dealer for the control unit, condensor and harmoinc balancer, the A/C was back to normal.
Two weeks later the alternator stopped working. Not wanting to spend an additional $560 to replace the alternator, I decide to replace it myself (despite all the warnings of the difficulty involved). Sure enough, removing the alternator was a hastle. I examined the alternator and concluded that the internal regulator had failed as an open circuit. Finding a suitable replacement alternator has also been a challenge. I tried two remanufactured units from NAPA parts, but either the pulley was the smaller one or the mounting bolts did not align. One unit from Advanced Auto had the correct size pulley and the mounting bolts aligned. After installing this alternator and tightening the serpentine belt, I discovered that the belt would not remain within the A/C compressor pulley groove as it would slip over the edge when I ran the engine for just a few minutes. I turned on the A/C unit for a quick check, and a loud screeching noise followed by a loud "gas" releif occurred before I was able to turn the A/C off. All the refrigerant had leaked out, as well as some oil, from the compressor. I concluded the compressor had failed completely.
After removing the alternator and comparing it with the original I found that the alternator pulley is not in alignment with the original by as much as 1/8 of an inch. This explained why the serpentine belt would not stay in the groove of the A/C compressor. After removing the compressor I found that the compressor pully turns freely, the compressor also turns freely and compresses. But I also found that what appears to be a "pressure releif valve" on the compressor manifold high pressure side is open, allowing all the regrigerant to escape.
I have not been able to find any information as to the "pressure releif valve" on the compressor.
If anyone has any info on this pressure releif valve I would appreciate some feedback.
Bottom line is you may want to have your control unit checked or replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts