Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. Thanks in advace for any input.
2004 Rio, automatic, 1.6L.
The transmission oil pump rotted out; blew oil 10-15 feet :eek:
Dealer wants ~ $600 for just the pump. Took me forever, but I finally found somewhere else to get one. Used the advertising links here and got to Makco.
I walked through their selection process. When they showed the pump, I saw I was under the Mazda group.
Can anyone tell me if this is actually the correct Part?

AR38500A

Transmission Parts Pumps Pump Assembly, F4EAT 1990-UP

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
1,023 Posts
Look's like the right pump but do your research on the web some more to be sure good luck with it Reguard's Ronjohn

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dsolorio, I'm also doing the water pump and the timing belt. That series of pictures you have is great. Since I already have the transmission out I can move the entire engine a little to the left (towards the driver's side)... couldn't imagine trying to get to those bolts with everything in place, though it appears most people do.

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pump arrived today. Looks right, but I'll have to wait until this weekend to verify.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
I'm just wondering, did you take the trans out to change the pump or did you take it out for more inspections? When I get around to going out to my storage shed, Ill take a photo of the oil pump I have. You'll be able to see if they are similar.

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the gasket, but it didn't arrive in the box. I just sent them an email.

You have to at least lower the transmission. There isn't enough clearance to slide the pump away before you hit the car wall. I thought I was going to have to replace he transmission itself which is why I actually pulled it. When putting it all back together I will see if there was a point the pump could have been removed without going all the way. As far as the spacer and bearing, I did not get them with the pump. Hope I don't need new. :(

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for the picture - I'd totally missed the spacer :(.
They shipped the gasket over night... both parts were the right ones.
I have the transmission up against the engine now but can't get the darn thing to move one inch closer to get the bolts started.

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
getting the tranny to line up was a bi.... err, was difficult. Finally used the shop crane and three straps. 2 towards the engine; 1 at the pump end. That allowed me to raise/lower,twist,or tilt as needed. Then I had to put a stap between rear engine mount (it's actually on the transmission) and right frame. That allowed me to apply enough tension so just wiggling the left axle got it to pop in. After all that, not so bad. That took me like 2 days :(

I think getting the transmission oil pump off by only removing the two left mounts and letting the engine tilt down may not be enough. I took a picture but don't have it with me.

Still plugging away at all of this... now getting ready to replace exhaust between cat and muffler. By far the most extensive work I've done on a car.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
I know your frustration with lining up the trans. When I did mine, I posted on here as well. I had mentioned several times DO NOT DO THIS WITHOUT A TRANS JACK! For good reason too! I'm sure you see why. After the trans is in, the rest is cake. Just double check, triple check all your harnesses are plugged in. I'm just wondering cause this can work both ways, did you take out your torque converter and line it up with the flex plate or did you leave it in and line the trans up with the converter? Good job and good luck with the last few things.

·
Registered
2004 Rio Sedan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I left the convertor on the transmission so I would be sure the convertor had fully seated, then rotated the trans to line up the flex plate holes.
Got everything together. Put 5 qts in to start. Put it down on the ground and now the car won't move :(. Put the front back up on jack stands. Wheels will move, so I thnk eveything is reassembled correctly. Seems like pressure has to be built up before the wheels move, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was it the right piece? I have the same problem and I found the same oil pump at Makco but haven't got a 100% confirmation right for the Kia Rio 2005

1 - 18 of 18 Posts