Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rio
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 04 Rio it had broken timing belt I bought it from a mechanic shop. They rebuilt head and block told me head had blown gasket. After tearing it down discovered it had cracks in 2 cylinder walls. Got a good block and put it back together now it will start run smooth for 5 to 10 seconds then dies. I can't keep it running long enough to turn on mil light.can someone point me in the right direction. Also it was doing this before I rebuilt engine.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
A pretty common problem with a car that has been sitting a while is deposits in fuel lines, gas filters, and in the bottom of the gas tank. The gas can turn to "gell".
Have you tried to "run" the engine on starting fluid? If it runs until the fluid runs out I'd bet you will need to flush the tank, replace the fuel filter (in the tank), and flush the fuel lines... If it doesn't run with starting fluid then there is "other" problems like timing being "off".
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Rio
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the problem by accident I took air filter housing off and started car it ran fine put it back on plugged in IAT sensor died after 5 seconds. Unplugged it ran fine put another one I had laying around runs fine. Can't understand how the IAT sensor could cause car to die every 5 seconds causing ECM to cut power to fuel and fire. Anyone have any ideas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts