Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We bought our Kia Rio Cinco in Sept. of last year, and for the last month we have had horrible overheating and acceleration problems. This is the third time my car has been taken in to the service dept. They replaced the thermostat, but that did nothing. Has anyone else gone through this??? The people at the dealership are baffled. I am upset, and know that I can no longer trust my BRAND NEW CAR to drive with my kids at all here in Arizona. Since it is like 115 degrees outside. Please, if anyone has heard of this please let me know, so maybe I can help them solve my cars problems. Thank you!! :puzzled:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will talk to the service deptartment today and tell them that maybe that could be it. :liebe011: I just really want my car back since I am paying 15 dollars a day (damage waiver) for a car that doesnt have as many features as mine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
is the car really overheating or is it just the gauge saying that it is??? Also if the car is running like crap as you said has anyone done a cooling system pressure test just to be sure that head or other parts of cooling system arent damage??? If is just the gauge it could simply be a bad ground. Make sure that the fans come on. Turn the a/c on and make sure both fans are on at the same time this will tell you if the fans work not if they are coming on when the car gets to certain temp. Is the car making any funny noises from the front of the engine??? is there any antifreeze driping under the front of the engine??? this could be a water pump... and last but not least check to see if what the temp on top of the radiator is compared to the temp on the bottom of the engine, If is extremely cold on the bottom and hot on the top is a sign of a clogged radiator it should only be about a 40 +/- degree difference too much difference is bad not enough is bad too. Hope this help If I may assist you with anymore let me know.

oops sorry 1fastkia I meant to pm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since the new engine is doing it too, I'm betting it's a gauge problem like mine was. My gauge was reading all over the place, sometimes hot then ten minutes later dead cold. Dealer said a bad engine ground fried sending unit and the gauge itself, they replaced both and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well unfortunatly it has been in there for over a week again, they are putting a custom radiator and fan in it to see if that will help. when it overheats the air gets very hot, and the car loses power

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had a problem with my durango similar to this. I took it in for a radiator flush / fill. It overheated on the way home. After 2 days they couldn't figure it out. Then I got irritated, bought a haynes manual for it (sorry, Haynes doesn't make Kia manuals :angry: ) and went back there. Drove it around until it started to over heat, parked it in front of the service department and took the pressure cap off. BAM, coolant started spraying out but it was mostly air so I let it do its thing until it really started spraying a lot of coolant around then I closed it, took about 2-4 seconds. (if you do something like this, make sure you use a VERY thick towel to take the cap off so as not to burn yourself with the fluid, also, don't remove it entirely or you probably won't get it back on in time, keep your hand on the towel, poised to close it! just turn it a tad until it reaches the 1/2 point then it should leak but won't come all the way off.)

Given the placement of the pressure cap in the rio, this may not work. The pressure cap in my Durango is on the engine coolant return hose (the hot side) not on the radiator itself. Just an idea. Perhaps pose the possibility of air in the system to the technicians.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so hopefully I will get my car back today. I am getting a custom radiator that is larger than normal. Second radiator in two months lol! Thankyou all for your advice. Ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok everyone brace yourself. I got my car back with two fans and a three coil radiator. One fan in supposed to run for ONLY 6 minutes after I turn the car off, but it is much longer, and get this. It overheated again! I guess my car is just a peice of crapola!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd definitely pursue lemon law while you still can. Find a lawyer that specializes in it. I'd have gone insane in your shoes, I had a hissy-fit when my gauge went bad. I can't stand the idea of my new car acting like a used one, it just ruins the whole point of buying new in the first place.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I took it to another Mechanic not a Kia person, and they checked for me. He also has NO CLUE what is wrond with it. And I am getting fed up of having to pull over 2 times a day to let it cool down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
check the fan. took mine to the dealer , they couldnt find the problem. then took it to a local shop, and they found the fan blown apart litterally up against the radiator. I HAVE NO confidance in KIA techs at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts