Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima, 2005 Hemi Ram
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new here and had a few questions. My wife bought my daughter a 2.4 04' Optima(without me) w/130K and after the "test" drive home I noticed it had a fairly nasty vibration at idle. So I did a little research and decided to swap the timing belt and balance shaft belt. Swapped the timing belt no problem but then ran short on time because she needed the car for college. So I skipped the balance shaft belt as it looked in perfect shape. Fired her up and the vibration was worse? So now I assume the oil pump pulley got spun somehow, even though the timing mark on it lined as it should. My question is does anyone have an actual picture of the plug on the radiator side of the motor that needs to be removed to insert the screwdriver? I have the exhaust manifold off and a plug removed, here is a pic with a screwdriver inserted...Is this right? Huge thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so I'll assume no one knows, well someone does, ME!! Lol, yes that is the hole for the screwdriver, and the oil pump pulley was off. For those that don't know this there are five alignment points for the belts, one for each of the two cam sprockets, the belt driven balance shaft, crankshaft pulley, and the oil pump pulley. Problem is the oil pump can be off even though the alignment marks get lined up if it spins. Which was my case. They only all five line up once every three revolutions of the cam sprocket. Meaning you get them all lined up, spin the motor over so the cam sprocket makes 1 revolution(360 degrees) and all the marks will line up except the oil pump pulley, do it again and the same thing, third time and all five line up again. So knowing it was off in my case I lined all five up, removed the timing belt, gave the oil pump a gentle spins so it could align itself, inserted a 5/16" drill bit in the hole for the screwdriver, and put the timing belt back on....worked perfect!! Here's a pic of the alignment marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 KIA Optima
10 Posts
Sawcut, I appreciate your thread, I made a post here yesterday about our daughters 2005 Optima. Her belts had missing teeth and it trashed her engine. She put the car in the shop and they installed a new belt in the used engine. At idle it runs fairly smooth but give it just a little gas and it really vibrates, could not using the screwdriver to align the oil pump cause this vibration? Also the throttle is very touchy, just a 1/4 inch movement of the peddle causes the engine to surge badly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the touchy pedal or surge but it does sound like the oil pump is not aligned properly. My daughters car was a vibrating mess until I fixed the oil pump issue. Did they replace both belts? Also I'm thinking, and I could be wrong about this, but I'm thinking the cams can be retarded 1 tooth and not cause engine damage. Advanced and I think they'd hit.

·
Registered
2005 KIA Optima
10 Posts
Thanks Sawcut, I appreciate the information. I don't know if they put a new balancer belt in or not. She said this evening that it smooths out after it gets warm now so that pretty well lets the belt and oil pump being out of kilter. I am going to do a tune up on it and see if that changes anything. Thanks you again so much.

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
2004 Kia optima

Hi guys, just joined the forums today. I have a 2004 Kia optima that has 73k miles and I have had to replace the balance shaft belt twice and replaced the water pump and timing belt on the second time. (Im pretty sure the mechanic I had do the first one sucked.)

Yeah fortunately for me I am a mechanic for the navy reserves and I am able to do most my own work. The balance shaft belt is what generally causes the vibration teeth shred off of it and render it useless. (53k) then the mech I hired to install (I didnt have time I was a full time student and full time working) installed it incorrectly. I aligned all the timing marks before I removed the tensioner ,made it loads easier to re-install. The balance shaft belt broke and was shredded (71k) and a piece of the debris ended up getting caught in between the timing blade on the crankshaft and the CKPS, breaking the CKPS and requiring me to dump another 150 in the car. The CKPS becomes frail after time and it would of been a good idea to replace it while you were in there.

Well, now I am replacing the water pump again because the pump I put on it (from Napa) lasted less than 2k miles before it caused my belt to squeal, and this work is what has led me to the forums. You see I had a question the first time I did the timing belt about my cam alignment, you see the cams toed in on themselves if that makes any sense. The pulled inwards on themselves, I will try to illustrate in paint when I post on my own thread but since both of you just did the timing belt you can tell me if yours looked the same.

The timing belt you see is on the car and the tensioner is tensioning it and all the timing marks are lined up. The one with my finger is showing how much flex the middle has at certain points(when I rotate the crank it goes in and out of having that excess there, sometimes its between the oil pump and crank too. Now this car starts and runs just fine with the belts like this but I just find it weird that it is designed this way. maybe I will explain it better in its own thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similar humming/vibration issue after replacing timing belt on my 2004 Kia Optima

I had similar issues and posted a trail at Humming and Vibration after changing timing belt

Well, I got great news. The vibrations are gone after I installed the full kit version (see More Information for GATES TCK313).

My best guess what actually caused the humming/vibrations are the following:

1. The previous timing belt looks thicker - need to return it to Autozone and ask them what the heck they sold me.
2. The existing balance shaft belt was very loose (about 3/4 inch applying finger pressure)- after replacing it with the new one I made sure it had the proper tension - the installation instructions and illustrations that came with the kit were very helpful - I'll see if I can scan and attach later...

In general, the trail at http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2006-magentis-optima/81630-2004-opt... was very useful as I ran into the same 2 issues

1. Freaking cam sprockets don't stay in place when removing the timing belt. The pulled inwards on themselves (see explanation form Kia_Pet in link above). Had to use clamps to ensure belt stays on the cam sprocket with the extra slack I had to give when placing the belt in the correct notches to account for this slight mis-alignment.

2. Noticed same thing Sawcut64 reported (see link above). Cam sprockets, belt driven balance shaft, and crankshaft pulley alignment marks always lined up after each full 360 rotation but the oil pump pulley needed to go through 3 full rotations before it lined up again. This can be confusing and isn't mentioned in any repair manual or instructions I saw so far!

One more thing worthwhile reporting!

Contrary to the installation instructions of the timing belt kit, I wasn't able to put on the timing belt with the auto-tensioner inserted (even with the auto-tensioner pin fully reset).

Instead, I removed the auto-tensioner to provide enough slack in the timing belt to remove it from the pullys to rotate/fine-tune the alignment marks.
I used clamps on the cam sprockets to hold the belt in the correct notches and used a screwdriver to lift timing belt tensioner pully arm up/down to fine-tune the crank shaft pully and oil pump pulley alignment marks. There was a plastic plug on the wheel inside frame of the car - when pulling it out it was aligned to the auto-tensioner arm perfect to insert the screwdriver through to keep the tensioner arm taut. In other words, I used this method to get all alignment marks ok and only then I inserted the auto-tensioner (still left tensioner clip in) and placed a screwdriver tip in between tensioner pin and rod that moves tensioner pully up/down to give it some extra tension to avoid the belt from slipping of the cam sprocket. Then manually rotated the crank pully several rotations (2 x 3) to see all alignments marks are perfect before finally pulling the clip on the auto-tensioner to complete the procedure!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone. New guy here. Wife has a 2004 Optima with the 2.4l. Threw the crank code last week. When I looked up info on here, I decided it was a little more involved than I was comfortable with due to time and facilities constraints. Took it to the shop we have work on it when I can't. Now it's got a nasty vibration. When I took it back To see what the deal was, the tech that did the work was already gone for the day. The guy that was still there thought it could be from a loose motor mount. I don't buy that. And it seems to get a little better after the car gets warmed up. All I know is that it wasn't doing it before.

Any ideas what it could be? At this point I'm thinking they didn't get the timing marks set quite right.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The balance shaft is "out of time" and is aggravating and not improving engine vibration.
There is a lot of information here about it and the proper way to "time" the shaft properly..

Here is one thread...
http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2g-2001-2006-magentis-optima/75025-lining-up-balance-shaft.html
You might want to copy and print the Hyundai info to take to your mechanic...
PLEASE keep us informed of the results...
Dave
Thanks! Will keep everyone updated. I actually talked to the guy that worked on it and he said it looked like the oil shaft pulley was off by a 1/4 when he opened it up. Said he would put it back.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
We ARE here to help each other...I have KIA friends all over the globe from being on this forum ... I hope you will confider staying around and enjoying the "group".
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took it back to the shop again to get them to look at it. From what they showed me it seems that really is the motor mount. They put a pry bar in it and lifted it up while the car was running and it quit shaking so badly. Only thing they can't tell me is why or how it went bad between us dropping it off and picking it up the next afternoon. As well as why they can't seem to find a replacement, but I've already picked one up since leaving there. Needless to say, the wife is VERY unhappy with them. I'm going to change the mount myself and hopefully that takes care of everything. If not, I'm going to get a little ticked off. Now we also have to find a new shop to use as my wife says she'll never take anything there again.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Supporting the motor from underneath while changing the timing belt may have put stress on the mount and damaged the rubber insert.
Glad you found the problem...I'd suggest on he next TB replacement you mention this.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't expect we'll have it long enough to put another TB in. It's got 126k or so on it, so we will probably be trading it in a year or two.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts