Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(re-posted from the Newcomers Forum. Duh)

After spending a frustrating couple of sessions searching the Kia forums for an answer to my 2004 Kia Optima power window issue, decided it would be easier to just post a question. I have registered for Kiatechinfo.com and searched there but could not find an answer there either. I am generally mechanically inclined and like to try fixing things myself before resorting to paying a technician but have limited knowledge of electrical wiring and currents and stuff like that.

Basically the power window switches on the driver's side door are not working at all; nor are the individual door window switches. No window power, period...except for a click. They have quit and then worked and then quit again, so now the passenger side window is half down (lowered accidentally and then the total failure on all windows kicked in again) and the 4th-rainiest July in south central KS ever has been going on outside. Of course. GRRR.

Here is what I have tried:

I have checked the 40A fuse under the hood and it looks to be fine. It is not an accidentally pressed window lock switch either. When you press any of the switches you hear a "click" but nothing happens. Thinking it might just be a bad master switch, I got a replacement master switch/mirror switch/bezel unit and replaced the original. Unfortunately, same symptom, click is heard but no window power. NOW WHAT.

Is there a relay or solenoid or something somewhere that might be bad? I have seen references to cleaning contacts also; is that the contacts in the wiring harness or on the switch or both, or does the switch itself need to be opened up, and if so, how?

Would appreciate any help on this as my daughter would just like to be able to close the passenger window...THANKS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Pretty sure it is not the motor or regulator, the windows work fine when they do work, which is sporadically. I have also replaced the switch with another working master switch but that did not work. Found the relay above and behind the fuse panel under the dash and discovered that wiggling the relay made the windows work again. So the problem seems to be at the relay, either the relay itself or the outlet or wiring it goes into. It is still not working without fail but at least we know how to get them working again. Probably should pull the relay and see if there's any corrosion or something going on; it's in a tight spot and hard to get at. Just haven't gotten back to messing with it again. The relay clicks when you turn the key in the ignition (when you feel it while turning the key) and it DID previously click louder when you pressed the window switch but then it stopped at the switch. So not sure if it's the relay or something else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts