Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, long time no see.
I did some searching on this topic, but none of the results are very relevant to me here... Here's a rundown on the condition of my Sorento and the problem I'm having. My garage knows of the issue, I just haven't taken it in yet (time, finances, get paid tomorrow)

• 2004 Sorento LX
  • 94,xxx miles
  • Timing belt was replaced at 59,xxx miles
  • Regular maintenance, oil changes every 3k
  • Differential oil changed at 59k
  • A fuel solenoid replaced around 72k (caused a CEL notification, no issues with the car itself however)
  • Fuel tank sensor / pump assy replaced around 79k
  • Front Driver side axle boot replaced between 78-83k (don't remember) due to leakage, wasn't major
There's not currently a CEL illuminated, and when the problem manifests itself, it DOES NOT come on.

Problem has occurred for the past two weeks.

On acceleration from a stop, the car will have problems accelerating. It's as if I was fluttering the gas pedal on acceleration. It happens most when coming from a total stop, but does happen, though less severely when in motion. It doesn't seem to be tied to the AC or the outside air temp (had it happen two nights ago around 10:30pm, relatively cool engine) but does get worse during the day during normal operating temperature if I have the AC on.
  • Oh, and this is a standard transmission (manual)

This started happening before the fires out here too, in case you're familiar with the Colorado Springs area - it hasn't gotten worse with all the smoke in the air, but it hasn't gotten better. Air filter was changed last oil change (<700 miles ago)
Any thoughts? Things I should check or tip my garage off to? I will probably take it in this weekend if I can, but if I can give them a heads up on this, I'd appreciate it (and so would they I'm sure!)

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,412 Posts
If the air filter was replaced, the first thing I'd check is that the rubber intake tube from the MAF to the throttle body is connected and the clamps are tight. Any air leakage between the MAF and the TB could cause your condition.

I would also check for any possible vacuum leaks, since you say it changes with temp. It is very common for the rubber hoses to dry out and crack, especially at the age/mileage you Sorento has on it. Also, it is common for the variable intake shaft bushing to leak. It is dead center on the front of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
I'd also check, the MAF sensor and the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
401 Posts
Manual Gearbox: When was the last time you changed the Clutch Plate? It could be worn-out or needs adjustment.

Try to drive off with the with the handbrake on. If the engine continues to run with the clutch pedal raised, then its a worn-out disk. However, if the engine stalls and car tries to move, then maybe it needs an adjustments.

Just a thought

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 01 Rio actually had a failed clutch, and it's nothing like that feeling. The car has actual physical hesitation when I accelerate, it doesn't feel anything like clutch slippage.

I guess I worded my original post incorrectly - I meant to say that air temps don't seem to matter, nor does operating temp - it does it regardless of whether the car has been running or not, and whether or not it's 90°F outside or 60°F.

I filled up yesterday, and put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in just for kicks (though it's been less than 5k miles since I used a can of BG44k) and it seems to be better. When the fuel level gets a little lower, I'll see if the issue comes back - I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it (as being as hot as it has been lately, and so close to the end of the month when I get paid - once a month paychecks mean I scrap for gas money if I do any extra driving over what I've budgeted already.

Thanks for the ideas though - definitely some thoughts I'd never considered.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
an update: I ran some injector cleaner through about 3-4 tanks ago, and combined with those tanks, the issue seems to be largely gone. I notice that if I try to drive it in 2nd gear (like slowing down to pull into my driveway where I'm still going too fast to shift into 1st) it'll lug a bit, but nothing alarming.

I'm still watching it, and I have an ace garage to back me up if anything goes awry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts