Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia spectra
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
154,000 miles

When I drive down the road in between 50 - 60 mph the car will shake in the front. At higher speeds the shakes will pretty much go away but at times you can feel it. I have replaced the front tires (driver side had a broken belt). I checked the front end as much as I could and didn't see anything that stood out. Any ideas on what could be going on with my fav car?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,936 Posts
Have you checked the struts for leaking at the piston shaft?
154k miles is a lot of miles for a set of shocks..
Try bouncing the car by pushing down on the fender and releasing again and again....then stop...does the car continue to move up and down? It should stop after one bounce if not the struts (shocks with springs around them) are probably bad.
They do wear out although no where near as fast as FORD OEMs (35k miles on a Contour). 100k miles is really exceptional and common on the Spectras.
Struts also work to keep the car's front end from vibrating up and down and the car can have a specific speed range where they have to work harder to restrict vibration by dampening movement. Even the best new tires have some balance problems. Were they spun balanced to 75~80mph?
Just some thoughts...
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts