Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 kia spectra. About 2 weeks ago, the tranny started winding out when accelerating. I would have to take my foot off gas pedal for a second then when I put it back on it would transition to the next gear. When it started it was only once in a while. Well today I went to drive it, put it in R and stepped on gas and it would not move at first. I did it again and it backed up out of the driveway fine, then put in D and same thing. While driving it shifts gears hard and makes that winding noise when trying to switch gears. I opened the hood to check tranny fluid and I noticed a leak right away! It is leaking from the hood of the car, it's all over the bolts and what ever else is around it on the same side as the dip stick. I checked dip stick and it doesn't look all that low. Could it be something simple or is the kiss of death for the tranny? It seems like a hose leak to me but I am not a mechanic. My husband is handy with car repairs and does most of the repairs himself. I just thought I would get a jump on it for him for when he gets home from work to save time.

Also, on a dodge Durango we used to have we had a similar problem. My husband put "gunk" transfusion in the tranny and it solved the problem. Can I use something like that in a kia? I have read that you're only supposed to use kiaIII tranny fluid. This is a universal fluid used in most autos.

Thank you in advance for your help

·
Registered
2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
265 Posts
luckily for you these trans are cheap. you can get one refurbish from a Kia dealer for less than 800 or salvage yard for 400 i got one for 500 and install is pretty easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, so I take it it's not something simple and repairable??? Wishful thinking lol I did put "Gunk" transmission sealer in it and it seems to have slowed the leaking and it's no longer grinding out, the engine light is still on however. I only used half the bottle and it says it could take a few days to see full results. This sucks :-/

Thank you for replying, btw!

·
Registered
SPECTRA (TRADED),CADILLAC (TRADED), ACURA MDX, SUZUKI KIZASHI, FORD FOCUS
21 Posts
I just got rid of my 2004 spectra 3 weeks ago due to a failed transmission.it started just the way yours did. Just a little leak and 2 weeks later it would not drive in "d" and barely in "d2" but good in "l".when i noticed the leak i checked it on a lift but counldn't find the leak so i keap it full of fluid but that didn't help, it still failed 2 weeks later. So i traded it in on something different and it surely wasn't a kia. Needless to say i would never buy another kia again.by the way the 2001 thru 2004 spectra automatic transmission aren't cheap like the other years. Good luck with your tranny and be wise an kiss it good-bye.:(:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts