Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento EX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought the car used with one key originally. Now we have lost that key. I have searched on the forums but can't find a definitive answer:

Is it necessary to purchase a brand new master key with cylinder and new IMMO and replace everything?

Car is Canadian, dealership is quoting 1500+ in order to get a new key. Said he's talked to Kia head office Tech and phoned other dealerships to make sure.

2004 Kia Sorrento EX V6

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
If the Canadian model had the immobilizer key (either standard or feature), and yours was equipped, than those prices may be about right. Although, I don't see why they would have to replace the whole system, a dealership should be able to reprogram it to match the new keys. I had to get a new key for my old Stratus (I'm in the US) and the local locksmith was able to reprogram the security system, instead of replacing everything.

Have you gotten a second opinion from another dealership or even a locksmith that's equipped to handle these kinds of systems?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
A new immo chipped key with remote entry key fob, cut and both programmed to fit was about £150.00 ($300 Canadian?)

What are the dealership providing ..... solid gold?
the OP reads like they need to replace the cylinders, and the immo system, as opposed to just getting a new key cut based on the VIN and programming the immo to match.

The price quoted may be about right to replace all those parts, but the question of WHY they want to REPLACE all those parts...

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento EX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Updated Info

I have approached a locksmith who has reprogrammed keys for KIA before and he came to try today.

Here is the issue he found when trying to reprogram: It is asking for a four digit code, not six. It also came up with a Hyundai key which was strange.

I must say, I don't think the dealership is really trying to rip me off (besides mark-up). They just don't know what else to do besides replace everything. When I told them about being asked for a four digit code they told that's what happened to them.

Has anyone run into this Hyundai and four digit secret key code issue?

Thanks for the replies!

Edit* We used the last four digits of the six digit code and it went through the motions or programming but car would just turn over and not ignite (same as when dealer tried).

Also - when putting the key in the ignition the IMMO light flashes but does go off after, doesn't stay on.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,591 Posts
Try a diff dealership. I'm a parts manager at a Kia dealership in MI. We don't have many Kia's with chip keys, but there are some. This is what you need to do. You need the correct KIA chip key blank. It can be cut with the key code that ANY CANADA Kia dealership can get from your vin#. The Kia dealer will need the correct kind of Key cutting machine, we all don't have them. Then after it's cut, it needs to be programed at a Kia dealership. NO need to replace your IGN. lock cylinder.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento EX V6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Try a diff dealership. I'm a parts manager at a Kia dealership in MI. We don't have many Kia's with chip keys, but there are some. This is what you need to do. You need the correct KIA chip key blank. It can be cut with the key code that ANY CANADA Kia dealership can get from your vin#. The Kia dealer will need the correct kind of Key cutting machine, we all don't have them. Then after it's cut, it needs to be programed at a Kia dealership. NO need to replace your IGN. lock cylinder.
We got a Kia chip key with an M on it using the VIN # from the dealership. The dealership cut it for me and the new one works for the doors and will even turn over engine, just won't ignite.

The problem is programming the key, it wants a four digit code. The SKC given from the dealership is six digits.

The key lock guy got the four digit key and using the programming machine successfully programmed the key. It still does not work.

We cut a second metal key - when that is in the IMMO stays lit and the engine will turn over but not ignite.

First key which is successfully programmed the IMMO flashes 6 times and goes off, meaning the car acknowledges the key? Still just turns over but won't start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts