Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you to anyone before hand. I have a 2004 Sorento 3.5L 6Cyl and its giving me the following codes P0441 & P0446. I can hear the Purge solenoid clicking. Any Ideas? Also I was replacing the driver's small catalytic converted and needed some space so i disconnected the small cylindrical canister see attached picture.( The attached picture is not the one on my sorento just a random one.) If by chance I connected some on the hoses on the wrong place could that give me these codes? Any one can provide me with a picture so that i can check everything is ok on my side? Anyways any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
The canister is the vacuum reserve for the variable intake actuator. If it is disconnected no harm will occurr, in fact it is recommended to avoid the problems of the butterfly screws loosening over time and being sicked into the intake.

Both those codes refer to incorrect evaporative canister flow or purging. You may have also moved or disconnected some other vacuum tubes related to the evaporative canister.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The canister is the vacuum reserve for the variable intake actuator. If it is disconnected no harm will occurr, in fact it is recommended to avoid the problems of the butterfly screws loosening over time and being sicked into the intake.

Both those codes refer to incorrect evaporative canister flow or purging. You may have also moved or disconnected some other vacuum tubes related to the evaporative canister.
Thank you for your comments...I have compared my hoses connections with the pictures that nstoolman1 shared and they are where they are supposed to be.
I also forgot to mention that when i fill the tank all the way (full tank) and i drive the sorento a couple of miles the check engine will go away...but as soon as the gas needle drop a bit the check engine comes again, if i fill it up again the check engine disappears.......Any thoughts/ideas/comments as to what might be the origin of these codes? Thank you beforehand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here is your code....

P0441 Evap. Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

Probably going to be your purge control valve. Those are a common thing to go on the later model Sorentos. I see you are in Texas. So am I. You should bring your vehicle in so I can take a look at it. I am in central Texas

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is your code....

P0441 Evap. Emission System Incorrect Purge Flow

Probably going to be your purge control valve. Those are a common thing to go on the later model Sorentos. I see you are in Texas. So am I. You should bring your vehicle in so I can take a look at it. I am in central Texas
kiatec, thanks for commenting. Ok well the purge control valve seems to be working i can hear it clicking. If I unplug it it won't click, if i plug it it starts clicking..based on what i have read on other posts this is an indication it is working. Is this true? See the pictures i have uploaded just to be sure I am not confusing the purge valve. Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ok well another option is the closed canister valve. They both work together. honestly taking it in wouldnt be a bad idea as there are things that need to be monitored by our equipment to make sure all is on the up and up

·
Registered
2003 Sorento, 3.5L, 110K Miles
33 Posts
charlie9469 - I experienced P0446 around 130K miles on my 2003 Sorento. The occurrence of the code was also affected by fuel levels. The cause in my case was the evap canister located in front of the fuel tank on the passenger side (refer to the other post below). I did have to modify the canister in order to drop it down enough, but my only corrective action was to blow out the canister with air.

I did not have the P0441 code, but the fact that you also see some correlation with fuel levels suggests this may be at least part of your problem.

http://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/50342-code-p0446-evap-system.html

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KBBGeorge, thanks for your advice. I will be trying what you suggested. Hopefully it will resolve it. Could you tell me a little bit more about the modification you did to the canister? I could not find any of that in the post you referred me to. Thanks

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
Here is the TSB for modifying the canister. If it is not clear enough you could go on kiatech.com and look it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
The TSB nstoolman1 mentioned is just directions on how to cut off 1/4 in of the studs for easier removal of the canister. It will not assist you with your code. But if you have to replace the charcoal canister or the ccv, then this TSB will help you bc you will have to take it out to repair or replace parts.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,514 Posts
KBBGeorge, thanks for your advice. I will be trying what you suggested. Hopefully it will resolve it. Could you tell me a little bit more about the modification you did to the canister? I could not find any of that in the post you referred me to. Thanks
Yes, my post was in response to the post by KBBGeorge. He mentioned the mod to the canister and charlie9469 asked what he did. I never suggested the mod would get rid of his CEL's.

·
Registered
Kia sorento 2005
1 Posts
hi everybody.

can someone tell me the part number for the small cylindrical canister? i need to replacement in my KIA Sorento 2005 but i cannot find the part number. i can just find the vapor control valve number.

thanks in advance

regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts