Kia Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,843 Posts
The dome lights are controlled by the BCM (body control module) the door switches "feedback" door open or door closed to the BCM...then the BCM "reads" the request to light or extinguish and then outputs the dim to bright (on) or Bright to dim (off) voltages to the dome lights..The manual switches bypass the BCM with either full on or full off voltages... Sounds like the BCM "may" be your problem... Don't buy one at the dealer...just go to your local salvage/junk yard for one... Be sure the part numbers match...
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
05 Serento

Same issue. Tried the dealership w/ part number from thread. Guy said that they were out. Quoted price $15. So I think I will radio shack it. Also wrap it afterwards with electrical tape. It's like so weird at night getting into a dark car.

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an '05 Sorento. The original post said that the 2004 Sorento only had two screws for the kick plate. I have removed both but still cannot remove the kick plate. Is there another screw, or a clip somewhere, or do I just have to use some force to get it loose?
Thanks.

Never mind, I answered the question by pulling on the panel. There are two trim plugs on the back of the panel holding it in place, I just needed to pop them out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through the process on my 05 Sorento EX, and it didn't solve my problem. Dome light and hatch light still won't come on when the doors open. When I press the on button, the dome light works. Hatch doesn't work at all (havent changed bulb yet).

I've checked fuses, nothing seems burnt out. The only other electrical issues I have are bulbs that need to be replaced in the AC console.

Any suggestions on what else I can check?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great tip and the pictures helped a lot. The dome light was driving me crazy! I just popped in a generic diode and all is well now with the interior lights.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
2002 2007 Kia Sorento Dome Lamp Diode Dome Light Harness Diode 9138A 3E000 | eBayElectronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121363687509/[URL="www.ebay.com/"]www.ebay.com/

2005 Kia Sorento: Dome lamp problem | PDX oil
Looking at the difference in the two diodes are you cutting the harness to install the cheap diode or you bending the ends to plug into the plug?
If you want to check the diode diodes are used for one way flow. use ohm meter if no flow reverse the leads you should have flow. This is the way I checked the diodes in my charger it uses 25 amp button diodes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have the same problem. Interior lights come on with the headlights. Ordered the diodes from ebay as the local (60 miles away) Radio Shack did not carry that item and I didn't want to pay the $19 the local Kia dealer wanted for just one. They should be here is a few days and I hope that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read the "STICKY" on diode replacement on the 2004 Sorento. I'm unfamiliar with this.
What is the problem that would require a diode replacement to fix it????
Does it ONLY happen on the 2004 models?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Old thread, but I bought my Sorento used. Can I get a description of what 'works like a charm' actually is? The rear cargo lamp on my rig works. The center dome lamp does not turn on when a door is opened, but does work in the ON position. The driver's overhead dome does not turn on at all. That bulb has been replaced.

The BCM appears fine, the cargo light timer (dim to off) works as it should.

I've got the diode on hand, but now I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to pull this apart. Clarification please?

What I'd expect with this fix: Driver, center (in DOOR position) and rear cargo lamp to all come on when any door is opened. Is that correct?

'04 Sorento EX, 3.5
Oregon, USA

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
56 Participants
Todd Wilkins
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing