Kia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. If you are going to a KIA dealership's parts department, they will give you the correct part. I replaced mine in under 10 minutes and its been working perfectly ever since. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Replace diode or dome switch or both?

Hello Everyone,
Awesome instructions, but before I go pulling things apart to change the diode please let me know if the problem I have needs a diode replacement or a new dome switch replacement or maybe both. Of course I will start with the diode replacement first.

2003 Sorento:

The dome lights do NOT turn ON when door is open (dome set to DOOR button) just the cargo area light turns ON (change diode – got that part)

But also the ON switch (button) in the dome needs to be wiggled or tapped many, many times for the dome light to turn ON. So could it be that my entire dome setup needs to be replaced or is it just as simple as changing the diode?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Followed OP instructions to take apart the left side panel and removed the diode. Flattend the ends on the Radio Shack's diode, bent the legs down and plugged it into the original housing, used black electrical tape to wrap all up and placed it all back in.

Dome lights are now working when any of the doors are opened!!!

Sadly the ON switch still needs to be wiggled to turn ON so I may need to replace the entire dome switch at some later time. But the main goal to get the lights working is now done.

Thank you all!!!:hyper:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dome light not working when opening doors

"the 6A10 diode availabe from Dick smith or Tandy or Radio shack will replace this for below $1.50 . You may have to try it both ways round to get it right ...rating is 6 A at up to 1000v"

The diode referenced above is round and nothing like the one that goes into the connector. Get the proper replacement from a KIA dealer.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
"the 6A10 diode availabe from Dick smith or Tandy or Radio shack will replace this for below $1.50 . You may have to try it both ways round to get it right ...rating is 6 A at up to 1000v"

The diode referenced above is round and nothing like the one that goes into the connector. Get the proper replacement from a KIA dealer.
So you are saying that if something is round and for less money does the same thing as the OEM flat square one you should not use it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any more updates on this? Do you need a Diode or not? Saw that one guy above "bypassed it". Also are there any known side effects towards putting in the radioshack replacement? Don't want to start any electrical fires in the girlfriends suv.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't comment on bypassing the diode, but I can tell you the Radio Shack diode I put in back in 8/3/2012 is still working and no issues what so ever on my SUV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sweet thanks again Vadim!

hey do you have any experience with an ESC light coming on and off randomly? Been doing this roughly 3 weeks after buying the SUV. Today is also threw a check engine light as well. Iam going to throw the scanner on it at lunchtime. SUV drives fine and no drive ability issues. Read it might be something to do with a brake switch? Just wondering what you might think...I'll post up the code soon as I pull it in a little while.

Thanks man

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry, I am not good with that. See what the codes say and take it from there. Get as much info of the web as possible before taking it to KIA or a private mechanic or maybe even fixing the issue your self.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dome Light Repair

Just got finished with the repair on a 2007 Kia Sorento LX a little while ago and wanted to share my approach thru pictures kinda going from right to left sorry about that:

1. I used existing diode receptacle by using wires to connect; receptacle holds 20 AWG wires fine after several pull tests and to add more working room.

2. Also crimped hand shake connectors to wires and heat shrink tubing to cover exposed diode terminals and just in case the diode may need to be replaced it makes it easier for replacement at any other time.

3. I noticed the diode was getting a little bit hot, thus wrapped diode and hand shake terminals with self attaching tape to protect & isolate exposed hand shake terminals and diode.

4. Secured diode repair to existing wire bundle.

Works like a champ!!!

Hope this helps a little bit :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2006 sorento for over a year now and could not figure out this issue until ran across this forum. Went to the local kia dealership to purchase the diode and was told that the diode was not sold separately. I was told I had to purchase a $700 harness. Lol. I give him the diode part # that I got from this article and he said " oh yeah, that's the diode part number... we don't have it in stock $18" long story short, I soldered one in from radio shack and it works perfect now. Thank goodness for all you good people on this site. My wife thinks im a genius. Lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changed mine and was easy to do took 30 minutes or so but did not work . Ohmed out the old Diode and it was good .door lights work , can turn on dome light by pressing the on button and lights work but replacing the diode did not work .So have no idea why it does not work .Have checked fuses and Relay's and all are good . Maybe paint the 2004 Sorento yellow and put a lemon on the side . But have a chevy truck and have electrical problems with it also . Hate all the electronic stuff on em now .

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
56 Participants
Todd Wilkins
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing