Kia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Hello everyone i am new here as i just got my Kia on Friday(2005 Kia Sorento Lx). I am having some issues with the map lights, and the dome lights(the very back light works fine). When i got the bought it the lights were not installed, being daytime i did not even notice. Once i went to AutoZone got the lights for the dome and maplight (168), they will not shut off. The back light still funtions. Anyone else have simmiler issue? Is this still a diode problem?

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,374 Posts
Map lights are independant of the dome lights. Different circuits. If the map lights are stuck on you may have a switch problem.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
The issue was the dimmer switch was all the way on. Map lights and dome lights would not go out but the far back one did so i never thought to check the dimmer switch. Now that the dimmer switch is down my dome light is will only turn on when i push the on button so looks like i need to go get the diode. Thanks for the Help.

·
Registered
Kia Rondo 2009, Kia Sorento 2007, Toyota Sienna 2000
15 Posts
6amp 50v rectifier diode

Hey Folks,

You *do not* need to cut out the stock harness to put in the 6amp 50v rectifier diode from radio shack/ the source (in canada). You may find it easier to keep the stock harness rather than soldering in the diode, in case you have to replace it again and don't want to solder.

The diode wires are made of very soft alloy and they can be bent easily. Bend them to fit the harness. They won't go in initially because they are too 'big.'

Simply 'squish' the ends of the diode wire with a pair of pliers to make them flatter, and it should fit snugly. It seems to fit very well, and the friction is good. I wrapped with electrical tape and it works great.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento LX
4 Posts
Anyone know what the dome light bulb numbers are? I have tried 2 from auto zone. First was too long second was right but to fat. There were not bulbs in it when i bought it so dont have one to take in with me.

Thanks

·
Registered
07 Sorento
7 Posts
Thanks I have been trying to find this for a loooong time the dealer had 2 guys on it for an hr and had me order the whole dome unit in the roof, the next day it started working again but only for about a month, never had the light unit put in and at least they gave me credit for the part. should of found you guys first! I heard it was usually just the diode so thank you!

·
Registered
2004 Sorento
2 Posts
Is the diode the problem?

Hello

new to forum so just getting up to speed - here is my symptom: While driving my 04 Sorento the dome light and map lights will start to flash. This will occur randomly during the day as well as at night. I have read alot of threads about diodes and dome lights. Could this be related or maybe the dimmer switch is involved?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Sorento that had this problem. After ignoring the problem all summer, finally did some GoogleFu and found this thread. A quick stop to the local Kia dealership and $14 later (with tax), I had the part in hand.

Think the time from grabbing a screw driver to putting the part in and closing it all back up took less than 20 minutes. Works like a champ now.

Many thanks for the great post!!!

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
104 Posts
I replaced my diode with one from Radio Shack since it is much cheaper than the OEM. I used a 6amp 50v rectifier diode. There isn't a whole lot of extra wire to play with but it's simple if you know how to solder.

I just looked these up on radioshack.com, and they are 2.69 for 4...does that sound right? Can they really be that cheap??

·
Registered
06 Sorento LX, 04 STi
5 Posts
^^Yup, just pick up a pack today, same price, just keep the rest taped up next to the connector for future use, if needed. Still need to put mine in, but it's a lil chilly right now.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento LX, 1989 Dodge Ram 50
3 Posts
Dome light diode

I just replaced mine the other day. Cost me under $15 . There is another guy I know who has a 2005 Sorento also. His had the same problem. Told him what I found on here he did the same. His works great. Dealer wanted to charge him $100 to find the problem....

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
I have a 2005. I noticed a lot of people saying only the rear light works (and I take that to mean the one over the rear cargo area), but on my truck, the rear and the middle (back seat) ones come on, but the front/map lights do not. Is this normal behavior or are the front ones supposed to come on with the doors too? They all come on with their respective switches and the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
45 Posts
Went to my Kia dealer and gave them the part number. Was roughly $13. Installed in 5 minutes. Thanks guys

·
Registered
2006 Sorento EX 3.5L
7 Posts
Rectifier or Zener?

Has anyone verified what type of dioed the OEM is? The OEM diode is so tiny, I was wondering if it was a Zener diode, and not a Rectifier diode that has been suggested to use as a replacement.

Im no electrician or EE, but just curious if using the wrong type would make a difference, or be a potential safety issue if the Rectifier Diodes is used in the OEMs place.

Thanks forum!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts