Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. remove the (2) kick panel screws (2004 sorento only has two). For the foot panel next to the seat you may have to pry that piece up.
2. pull back the rug to expose the fuse box and wiring harness.
3. The wiring harness to the left of the fuse block (see picture), feel it and you should feel a small bump in it, that's the diode.
4. either unwrap or carefully cut the wiring insulation to expose the diode.
5. Its in a sleeve type of connector pry open carefully and pull out.
6. Put everything back in reverse order and your golden.

* i did this without disconnecting the battery, and as soon as you replace it you will see your dome/room light come on. sweeet

* the part from kia runs about $16-$18.
*part #: 9138A 3E000 (thx Zukman31 for the model number)

Hopefully the pictures come through.

Attachments

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
Welcome to the KIA forums. Thank you for going to the trouble of doing a tutorial for forum members, I'm sure it will help some members out. I will make a sticky of your post so it will be easily visible to more Sorento owners for their future reference. :cool:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
the 6A10 diode availabe from Dick smith or Tandy or Radio shack will replace this for below $1.50 . You may have to try it both ways round to get it right ...rating is 6 A at up to 1000v

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you believe my local dealership didn't know about this problem? They did have the diode and it costs $11.00. The dome light now works properly. Thanks again,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone have a Part # for this Diode? The Kia dealership isnt good for much, I would just like to walk in with a part # and save me some grief.

Thanks.;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought one yesterday. the part number is: 9138A 3E000 It costed me $12.54.
The step by step works perfect and is a very easy install. Good Luck..

Jimmy B..

·
Registered
571 Posts
My 03 Sorento has this problem and I managed to stumble across this thread. I'll go fix it now...LoL

Thanks!!!

I finaly picked up a Kia Diode and put it in - thanks to this thread! Just a note on my 03 Sorento: you have to lift up the sill plate to remove a crosspoint-screw holding the kickpanel in - I think the second picture in the OP's first post shows the area, but not the screw -- it is further aft than where the red arrow points (you can just make out the empty screw hole in the picture). Other than than that the instructions helped greatly! After scratching my head trying to figure out why the dome light wasn't coming on when the doors were opened (and checking the fuses in the fuse box) this thread was spot-on!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday to buy a crankbolt for my Sorento because I am replacing my TB, while there I asked for the diode part# 9138A 3E000, but I was told that number is no good and they seemed oblivious that there would be such a part in the wire harness where this diode is in. I even took the diode to show them and they were clueless. I guess I will go to rat shack and get a 6A100 diode from them and stick it in the connector....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your dealer is lying to you or they really are clueless. I just did the diode replacement a couple weeks ago. I gave them that exact part number and received the diode for about 12 bucks. Worked perfectly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many thanks for the step by step procedure including the pictures. I just finished to repair mine following those same steps. It worked like a charm. Thanks again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Help!

Just replaced the diode I got from the dealer. The dome light above the back seat now works but the map lights next to the windshield still do not work when I open the door. So did I get a bad diode or is it something else? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Just replaced the diode I got from the dealer. The dome light above the back seat now works but the map lights next to the windshield still do not work when I open the door. So did I get a bad diode or is it something else? Thanks!
I don't believe any of the map lights are suppose to light up when the doors open. Only the lights over the backseat and the cargo area. There have been a few people on the forums who have rewired them to come on but it is not a stock option.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Replaced factory diode with less expensive aftermarket diode

I replaced my diode with one from Radio Shack since it is much cheaper than the OEM. I used a 6amp 50v rectifier diode. There isn't a whole lot of extra wire to play with but it's simple if you know how to solder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OMG!!! thank you so much for this help :) I got the part from my local kia dealer and had it installed and working in less than 10 minutes!!!
The dealer was gonna "investigate" the problem for 100.00 dollars.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
56 Participants
Todd Wilkins
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing