Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
We're being denied warranty coverage for the warped rotors, mind if I ask where you are located. We've hit a dead end in the appeals process because the district parts and service manager is reportedly the last word on any warranty coverage issue.

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
i had to go back the day after i took delivery of our 05 sorento ex for evap. canistor and valve replacement. i told them the front rotors were warped and they replced them.

have said that....the owners manuel states a max torque of 88 ft lbs.

3 maybe 4 of the lug nuts would not have been removable with the lug wrench the comes the the sorento !

they were tightened with an impact wrench to appx 150 to >200 ft lbs of torque, i though i was going to break off the studs befor the bolts loosened up.

none of the rears were over 100 ft lbs but some were under 50 ft lbs

either sinerio is bad for the rotors and will cause warpage due to over torquing and nonequal torquing of the lugs when the are heated on hard stops

this did not used to be a problem many many years ago when vehicle weight was not a factor and rotors were beefer. rotors are made as light as possible now and wheel lug not torque is criticle !

i have been a mechanic all of my working life and whenever i have work done on any of my wehicles i.e. warrenty, tires etc. i always find the lugs have been severly over tightened
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had 2 problems with warped rotors, the truck only has 27K miles under pretty mellow driving. I took it in this last time and they tried to charge me $1,200 to replace all 4 rotors. All I have to say is there is a problem with the brakes on this thing. You don't warp rotors with mellow day to day driving, let alone the rear rotors that only do 1/3 of the braking.

I am going to be filing a complaint with Kia, as well as any other agency that will listen. This seems to be a common problem and Kia wants nothing to do with it. I now realize I should have spent the extra 10K and bought a Lexus!

·
Registered
car
4,208 Posts
Well my rotors started to act up the other day. The dealer says they are not covered under warranty becasue it is a wearable item and wearable items have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. My Sorento has 15,000 miles on it. They wanted to charge me $700 to have them replaced. I then called part stores all over the place and had no luck finding them until I called a Forgin car part store and found 2 of them there. They can get me 2 more too. They were $66 a piece. I will put them on myself and save alot of $$$$!

·
Registered
2005 Sorento ex v6 automatic
537 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with their sorento's rotors? Anyone with the same problem????

yes, mine were warped or not true when i purchased my sorento new so they replaced them.

but the mechanic used an impact wrench on the lugs...this is a no, no,

when i got home to retorque them i thought i was going to break off some of the studs before they loosened up....the proper torque is 87 ft lbs max, this is not that much.

i never would have been able to remove them with the supplied lug wrench!

proper lug nut torque is criticle to rotor life and a non-pulseating pedel

also a vehicle sitting on the lot will develope rust on areas of the rotor but may not under the disc pads, this will also cause a pulsating pedel

we just had the tires replaced on our chevy astro at wal-mart and the tire mechanic used a torque wrench wihtout me asking him to and got the torque correct 100 ft lbs !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts