Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have missed this forum because I am new but how hard is it to change the oxygen sensors on my Kia?
Also, originally when my check engine light came on it only had one code (p1166) now it has three (p0121 and p0171). My car has less than 80,000 miles on it but it is really starting to affect the performance of my car.
I am just now replacing the TPS sensor.
Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
O2 sensors on the 04 are easy to change. Upper is a breeze....lower is easy as long as you get under the car(jack the center support beam and block the front wheels). The plugs are identical so the 2 sensors can be swapped (on factory units one wire is longer is all). Before you go changing too many things, clean the IACV, and check for intake leaks, clean the MAF sensor. And maybe even do a throttle body cleaning. Myself and a few others in this forum had issues that ended up being clogged cats and sticking IACV's and NOT TPS and O2 sensors. You said you had 80K? Better change the timing belt if you haven't already. The Rio is notorious for breaking/slipping the timing belts and the engine is worthless afterwards. It is an interference type engine, and the valves will hit the pistons if it goes too far out of time. Register with kiatechinfo.com and look over the troubleshooting code sections.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
04 Kia Rio Oxygen Sensors

I may have missed this forum because I am new but how hard is it to change the oxygen sensors on my Kia?
Also, originally when my check engine light came on it only had one code (p1166) now it has three (p0121 and p0171). My car has less than 80,000 miles on it but it is really starting to affect the performance of my car.
I am just now replacing the TPS sensor.
Any help will be appreciated.

Make sure when you get the oxygen sensors because after multiple attempts in my 04 kia rio to get my oxygen sensors to work right I found out that the required sensors are actually HO2 sensors. Which are heated oxygen sensors. There is a diffference so make sure wherever you get them that they are.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts