Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought this car(2004 kia rio Base, manual) , drove it for a long time and the head cylinder blew. It sat around for about a year as I let some guy try to fix it for me (Big mistake). I got it back, found out for sure it was a cracked head cylinder, bought a new one installed it and started it up... to have a ton of oil leaking out around the crankshaft seal area.

I replaced the crankshaft seal, oil filter make sure everything was tightened and all that. Still leaking. Bad. Does any one have idea what it might be? There might be a leak from the oil pan gasket, but it's in the same area and I have spotted oil around the dipstick but it might be that it's shooting up there from somewhere.

I'm a total noob at car repairs, and this is driving me crazy. (Also getting tired of hearing just buy a new car. I'll be sure to do that if I can find that money I dug up in the backyard...) Anyone have any idea what might be leaking??

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
For a "total noob" at car repairs, you haven't done a bad job to get it semi-back together. Finding leaks around the lower area would seem much a easier proposition than wrangling the head/valves etc. What did the other guy do to the engine? Any fooling with the oil pan etc.?

Oh yes, did you ever think about a .... (sorry).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what this guy did to my poor car. He even somehow managed to trash my clutch... which has nothing to do with anything he should have been working on. He gladly took my money though -.-

As to the oil pan, I don't believe so. It is possible that after sitting for a long while the seals dried up. I'm just not sure why there would be oil around the dip stick.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
468 Posts
Camshafts also have seals. Make sure the oil isn't running down from higher up. Check the vacuum hose routing and make sure you have a vacuum on the top of the engine as designed (PCV). The pans are cast aluminum aren't they? It could be cracked. Check the camshaft sensor (back of head) and see that it isn't leaking oil. kiatechinfo.com has manual and free service info.... You find lots of helpful data there. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
468 Posts
It only holds 3.5 quarts of oil. Don't overfill it! If oil is coming out dipstick you have a positive pressure in the crankcase pushing oil out. That is what first comes to mind anyway....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts