Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - we are new to this board. We have an 04 optima that suddenly died yesterday. After 18 months of running great, it suddenly died and restarterd momentarily. It then quit all together. We went back for it with tools today and it started fine, it ran long enough to get it home (5 minutes) then did the same thing. It has 3/4 tank of gas and the fuel cap is ok. I removed the engine cover and injector manifold cover hoping to find a test port, but didn't find one. Hoped to find fuel filter to replace but can't find it either. Advance Auto sold me a large in-line type filter, I thought I could surely find that, but no luck there either. Acts like it runs out of gas, other vehicles I've had fuel pumps go out on - they wouldn't run at all. If you wait a while, the car will start again and run perfectly for another few minutes, then the trouble starts all over again. I called the Kia dealership and they told me to bring it in - hate to pay a 50 mile tow charge and big bill to boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 Acura Integra
968 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump. The fuel filter should be under the car drivers side or passenger side. hooked to the floor near the back tire.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am experiancing similar problems. however my car will not stay on for more than 5-10 seconds. we thought it was a fuel issue, replaced the fuel pump, no help. replaced the spark plugs, mine where fried, still no help. purchased a fuel filter, could not find where it was. ran a diagnostics and it came back with the code 0340= crank positioning sensor and/or timing. this is a job too big for my driveway. so currently looking for a good auto shop.

·
Super Moderator
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,807 Posts
so yes, it could be faulty sensor. It will be around timing belt. It might be loose or damaged or just dirty enough to not work well. The same for the wheel form which it gets signal.
Clean, check connectors and try again.
Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just finished changing the crankshaft position sensor on my wifes 04 optima. I did exactly what yours was doing. Time consuming job. Took me about 5 hours. But not hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi - we are new to this board. We have an 04 optima that suddenly died yesterday. After 18 months of running great, it suddenly died and restarterd momentarily. It then quit all together. We went back for it with tools today and it started fine, it ran long enough to get it home (5 minutes) then did the same thing. It has 3/4 tank of gas and the fuel cap is ok. I removed the engine cover and injector manifold cover hoping to find a test port, but didn't find one. Hoped to find fuel filter to replace but can't find it either. Advance Auto sold me a large in-line type filter, I thought I could surely find that, but no luck there either. Acts like it runs out of gas, other vehicles I've had fuel pumps go out on - they wouldn't run at all. If you wait a while, the car will start again and run perfectly for another few minutes, then the trouble starts all over again. I called the Kia dealership and they told me to bring it in - hate to pay a 50 mile tow charge and big bill to boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I had a similiar problem, the car would run fine then stop, if you let it set for about 10 - 15 minutes it would run fine for a few miles. By the way there is no inline fuel filter, I put my car on jackstands and followed the gas line from tank to engine, no filter. However there is a strainer on the fuel pump in the gas tank, easily accessible through the trunk. I replace the fuel pump and found a piece of solder in the gas tank about the size of a nickel, removed the solder, car runs great no more stopping. I experienced the problem with the old fuel pump as well as the new. Noticed the solder when installing the new fuel pump sor the second time with new strainer. The solder was being sucked against the strainer cutting off the flow of fuel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to me after replacing the timing belt. A week later it was running way ruff, timing wasn't set right. stilll would run ruff after it was fixed. they tested the Crank and CAM sensors and they tested good in the off position. I had the shop replace the crank sensor anyways (they refused to beleave me that a sensor can be bad at zero RPM). A week after that it would start and run for 15 seconds and shut off. Well round two started with arguing with the mechanics and them insisting a sensor can't be bad at zero RPM. So i went and bought one myself and put it in in front of them. Low and behold the car started up and ran fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 kia optima with a 2.4 engine and automatic transmission. it will not start or starts and stalls instantly. it has a new fuel pump,coils,plugs and ecm. i have determined that cylinder 3 and 4 have hot wire to injector but the pulse signal wire only pulses 1 time when you first turn the key over. cylinder 1 and 2 pulses as they should. After i found this i replaced ecm and injector wiring harness. still same thing any help would be apprieciated! Thank you

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 2004 kia optima with a 2.4 engine and automatic transmission. it will not start or starts and stalls instantly. it has a new fuel pump,coils,plugs and ecm. i have determined that cylinder 3 and 4 have hot wire to injector but the pulse signal wire only pulses 1 time when you first turn the key over. cylinder 1 and 2 pulses as they should. After i found this i replaced ecm and injector wiring harness. still same thing any help would be apprieciated! Thank you
hows the timing belt?

·
Registered
2010 SOUL + & 2003 OPTIMA NOW, I HAVE OWNED 5 OTHER KIAS
24 Posts
Your Optima does not have an external filter, the owners manual on my 03 says it has one but it doesn't. It just has a tank filter, but the filter doesn't sound like the problem. Does it have a check engine light on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have the same problem as "kimsquilts" but the fact that my battery seems to have trouble getting enough power to the engine (even after letting it sit for a while). Does anyone suppose this could be a wire harness problem?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts