Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 2004 Kia Optima back in May. I have had the timing belt and the water pump replaced a month or so ago. Recently the car started acting funny. The car will run fine and shift normally for a used car. Suddenly the car will want to shift down and you have to floor it to get it stay at speed. The highest I have got it to stay is at 40 mph. Once you pull off on the side of the road and put it in park, it locks in Drive, and you are unable to get it out of park. The brake also becomes super hard to push. After it sits awhile the car goes back to normal.The car has done this twice this week already, resulting in getting it towed to my normal mechanic twice and both times he cant figure out what is wrong. There is no check engine light or any codes. I'm taking it to a transmission shop first thing tomorrow morning. I have done some research and I have seen, Fuses, break switch, speed sensor, throttle cable, etc. I am starting to regret buying this car :( lol But... I do understand it can happen in any car. Any advice would be amazing!!

BTW First time posting on this forum!!!
I will update if the transmission shop finds anything.

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Maybe the car is goin in limp home mode, kinda weird there's been no console lights. Or a possible abs issue. Does it feel like the brakes are being applyed or more so the tranny is holding you back?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was down shifting. Now that I think of it, the front wheels were real hot and it smelt like something was burning. I did get a call from the trans shop and they were able to get to lock in park like I described but not the other issue. The guy said it sounds like a faulty brake switch. Have you heard of an abs issue, where the brakes lock up like that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The trans shop finally called me and told me I should take it else where. He pretty much said that there is a shift cable that runs under the drivers seat and to the transmission that is stretched. He didn't want to attempt to do it, since they don't mess with interiors. I'm at my whits end with this car, and to top it all off they haven't got it to downshift like it was doing to me. I found another shop in town that's really good but he is understaffed until Monday. Has anyone out there experienced issues like this? I have Google searched the shit out of issue this whole week and still cant find anything that sounds like my car.

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Yea def have another tranny diagnosis, you were prob smelling the tranny than the brakes, though front brakes can glow red, but typically that wouldn't happen unless your in race mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its definitely going into limp mode. The shitty part is there are no codes or CEL. The guy im taking it to on Monday has a theory that it could be the exhaust is clogged and causing heat build up around some sensors and that is whats causing it to to do that. He also said that the brake interlock cable isn't the issue either. I'm crossing my finger that this guy is a guru lol Thanks Womby for the posts!!

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
Anytime, cross are fingers excess back pressure, just hope its not the tranny. If I get time I'll check alldata next week about limp home reset

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shop couldn't find anything! It ran perfectly fine while it was there. My next step i guess will be to replace sensors? like the input and output sensor.. I just don't know what to do next :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts