Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 kia optima lx. i just replaced the caliper and pads on front right. When I goto bleed the breaks hardly any air or fluid comes out and brake will not engage. i am really stuck because this is the first time it has happened to me. Any answers or advice would be great.

·
Registered
06 Optima
23 Posts
Of course this is a shot in the dark with out having hands on, but I have had this issue on other vehicles before. One time I had twisted the caliper the wrong way and kinked the line, and didn't notice due to tunnel vision. The other time I had an issue like this the inside of the brake hose had actually collapsed and I had to replace it, problem solved.

Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,774 Posts
You have checked to see if your master cyl is full of fluid?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
You have air in the calipers that you need to expel.
You may also have to remove the caliper with hose still attached and a "c" clamp on the piston and move it around as someone slowly pumps the brakes and you man the bleeder valve.
I just replaced parts on my daughters 04 Sonata (same beast) and found using the "bleeder" below made my life sooo easy... and it WAS worth the $30. I did not have to "watch" the brake fluid levels, man the bleeder valve, and pump the brakes... 1 minute and I was done...
And NO... I don't work for HF...just like the inexpensive tools for the "non" pro mechanic.
Brake Fluid Bleeder

Another item on the shelf that I may or may not use in the future....
Dave

·
Registered
2004 Optima, 2009 G8, 1986 Capri
192 Posts
I would check the fluid level and the hose. The hose may look fine to the eyes, but if it collapses from the inside, you wont see it. Also, you didnt mention why you replaced it in the first place?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts