Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
04 KIA OPTIMA
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!!

This is the first time I am ever posting to a KIA Optima Car Forum so please forgive me if I am not well versed with the lingo..!!! :) I have been having trouble with my car since quite a few months now....So here is hoping that I do a good job of explaining the problem so that experts on this forum are able to help me !!!! :)

my car is a 2004 Kia Optima 4 Cyl, with abt 80K miles on it as of today.

At 75K miles it was running in what I would call a "pretty good" condition for a car with 75K miles on it. No noises, no problem with transmission, no vibration, mileage/power was great.. and then I got my timing belt replacement done as per the maintenance schedule (and that's when my nightmare started). So the mechanic replaced the timing belt and suggested me to replace the water pump with it as well since he was in there anyway (so no extra labor for water pump). I said sure why not. This was back in April / May this year.

Now after this service, when I turned on the car the first time my car had this unusual vibration (unusual at that time coz I never had that problem before) in the steering wheel, the dash and basically the whole driving experience had this resonating noise and vibration. The mechanic said the car is learning itself because of the new timing belt it will take time and the vibration will go away.

But it did not so after several trips to the shop he changed the power steering belt, transmission fluid & crank sensor & did wheel balancing. The vibration came down a bit but did not go away. it was like suddenly everything started going wrong with the car. (crank sensor was replaced because the car had started stalling in the middle of the road !!! there is another horror story attached to the crank sensor replacement as well but i'll save it for later :))

so now the drive was better, there was little resonance. But here is the real problem even as of today and ever since all of the above was changed:

whenever the car goes on a dip on the road it makes this "GRRRRRR" noise with vibration. It sounds like it comes from the front of car. On a cold start or whenever it rains or it is damp outside the whole steering wheel vibrates along with the whole dash and this particular "GRRRR" noise is more pronounced on dips and persistent otherwise. The car makes this noise even when you take a right turn or a left turn on a free way or when there is banking on the road. Car does NOT make this noise on a pothole or a bump. This sound is NOT like a metal on metal its more like plastic or rubber on rubber kind of sound.

So the mechanic said these are your motor mounts. The front lower and rear tranny mounts. So he replaced them and the car is now WORSE!!!!! The noise and vibration is more pronounced and when it rains this sound is more and more persistent. This noise is driving me crazy since I drive 30 minutes to and from work on a freeway everyday. It is worse because of the vibration because when you get out of the car you feel like you were on a roller-coaster...The mechanic is still clueless as to what is causing the car to make this noise and vibration.

here is the chronology if it is of help:

April - timing belt, water pump replacement
May - power steering belt, transmission fluid
May - wheel balancing
June - crank sensor
August - Motor mounts

so Experts I seek your help with this issue what could cause the car to make that noise..!!!! Has anybody faced something like this before....

Thank you and looking forward to your valuable inputs!!

-Soopergal

·
Registered
91eagletsi-06optima
86 Posts
How about the balance shaft belt located behind the timing belt, he should of changed the b shaft belt it for you, and checked the shaft races he was right there see pic.​
I had a balance shaft race fail on a 91 diamond star the vibration was unbearable like you say. People eliminate this belt with kits for reliability reasons. Its the little belt that could only destroy everything and always overlooked​
Also its possible the belt is over tensioned in which they can create their on unique tones , chains will make a humming sound over the plastic slides when over tight​

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would check into replacing your balance belt which is behind the timing belt. Normally when you replace the timing belt its a good idea to replace the balance belt. By having a bad balance belt it will cause the vibration you are talking about. Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts