Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used, one-owner 2004 KIA Sorento with a no-start problem. I thought it would be something like installing a new fuel pump or relay. It has been a disaster of epic proportions! I have spent almost $3,000 on repairs to no avail. I even took it to my local KIA dealership who after a week of pathetic excuses was unable to figure it out. I replaced the fuel pump 2 times, I also replaced the fuel pump relay, both sensors at the engine block plus the timing belt. The car runs for a week or two then refuses to run; it will crank but will not start or run. Eventually, it starts and runs again. This seems to be an intermittent issue. Buying this KIA is the stupidest car purchase I have ever made (and I used to own a Ford Pinto). I'd give the damned thing away but, I have never made an enemy in my life. Although, giving this turd on 4 wheels to a friend would quickly gain me an enemy. I'm our of luck, money and patience. Does anyone have any useful advice?

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
It could be so many things....... What diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) do you get immediately after a "no start" condition? Do these clear themselves when it does run?

One possibility (just imo) is the crank position sensor. iirc The sensor blade is attached to back of crankshaft timing gear and can be dislodged when being worked on. That will cause issues and could relate to an intermittent fault as it moves around - sometimes in time, sometimes not. At the same time the sensor wiring where it is located is especially prone to heat and fatigue and can fail with vibrations causing intermittent issues.

Similarly, injector harness and connectors can fail due to heat/age.

DTC might give someone a clue.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be so many things....... What diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) do you get immediately after a "no start" condition? Do these clear themselves when it does run?

One possibility (just imo) is the crank position sensor. iirc The sensor blade is attached to back of crankshaft timing gear and can be dislodged when being worked on. That will cause issues and could relate to an intermittent fault as it moves around - sometimes in time, sometimes not. At the same time the sensor wiring where it is located is especially prone to heat and fatigue and can fail with vibrations causing intermittent issues.

Similarly, injector harness and connectors can fail due to heat/age.

DTC might give someone a clue.

Hey, Gee6!

No trouble codes from the ECM. Even the Kia dealer couldn't get one. I replaced the timing belt and replaced the CPS at the same time. I don't know about the wiring though. At this point and, after all the money I have spent, I just want to start the thing up so I can quickly unload it. Too bad though, it is a very nice SUV but, I have lost all trust in it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,067 Posts
Perhaps Jewish Lightening needs to pay a visit to your vehicle while it's parked safely outside.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts