Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I hope someone clever out there can help me!!!
My carnival will cut out every now and then probably once a month on average, when I REVERSE. I start her up, put her into reverse and then when I try to slide her into drive, the whole instrument panel shuts down on me, the engine cuts out. After a lot of dramas the dealership couldn't tell me why, and they thought it could be the immobiliser. BUT....if I put in a new fuse then she starts up, will take me to drive and will drive off nicely BUT....if I still need to reverse then she blanks out all over again. I've gone through up to 5 fuses just to get going and eventually the only way for me to drive, is to put it in drive and drive over kerbs etc.........HELP please. Auto electrician couldn't fix it as when they had her, she wouldn't do it!!!! Argggggg please someone........

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
It could be the range selector switch mounted on top of the transmission. Water/corrosion inside it will cause problems... The reverse (backup) lights and the Neutral/Park start circuits are also within this switch... You may also have problems with the wiring to the backup lights..
For my money I'd replace this switch FIRST.
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou so much for that Dave, I'll advise my mechanic and get him to check that out. Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine
99 Posts
Which fuse is blowing Cassandra?

And what model do you have? The one with the 2.5 litre engine?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts