Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone here will have some suggestions to solve a problem were having with my son's 2004 Amanti.
Car will start and idle fine for about the first 20 minutes. Even drives fine. Once engine is at operating tempature for a bit, it loses power and will not get above 2k rpm at full throttle. So far we've replaced the MAF (twice in 6 months) the throttle position sensor, cleaned all conections to every sensor on the motor and applied fresh dielectric grease. Also it appears the motor is not getting the correct amount of air as once it loses power it smells as if it's running rich and the exhaust gets extreemly hot to the point its glowing. Thought maybe a clogged cat, so we cut the exhaust open in front of the cat, but it made no difference. Working the accelorator position sensor by hand makes no difference at the throttle body. Don't want to just keep throwing parts at this in hopes of getting lucky, but also running out of ideas too. Is it possible the problem lies in the ECM, or accelorator position sensor, or throttle body itself?? Any ideas orsuggestions would be helpfull and appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 Kia Sephia, 2016 Kia Optima SXL, 2019 Kia Soul Plus
1,110 Posts
Hopefully someone here will have some suggestions to solve a problem were having with my son's 2004 Amanti.
Car will start and idle fine for about the first 20 minutes. Even drives fine. Once engine is at operating tempature for a bit, it loses power and will not get above 2k rpm at full throttle. So far we've replaced the MAF (twice in 6 months) the throttle position sensor, cleaned all conections to every sensor on the motor and applied fresh dielectric grease. Also it appears the motor is not getting the correct amount of air as once it loses power it smells as if it's running rich and the exhaust gets extreemly hot to the point its glowing. Thought maybe a clogged cat, so we cut the exhaust open in front of the cat, but it made no difference. Working the accelorator position sensor by hand makes no difference at the throttle body. Don't want to just keep throwing parts at this in hopes of getting lucky, but also running out of ideas too. Is it possible the problem lies in the ECM, or accelorator position sensor, or throttle body itself?? Any ideas orsuggestions would be helpfull and appreciated.
I'm going to go out on a limb on this one because I had to chase an idle issue with an Amanti once and the fix surprised me. The Amanti has an accelerator position sensor in the engine area, BUT it also has an electronic throttle system (ETS) control unit mounted by the passenger foot well. I think I replaced the accelerator position sensor first and the control unit to fix their issue. I also had a trouble code to chase, but I don't recall what it was. I hope this helps in some way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts