Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Amanti 3.5l 100,000 miles, oil light flickers dimly 1,500 rpm and on solid at idle. Goes off after 2,500 rpm. (This is all after engine is fully warmed up. No light when cold no matter what rpm).

Service advisor at dealership says that some instrument clusters have been found defective. Have you heard that? In other words, false reading.

I haven't checked the oil pressure yet. Will do this weekend. I thought I might kindly ask you folks: are the Amantis known for oil pump issues at 100k?

I'm hoping for a defective sending unit. I know, good luck on that one. Sounds like a bad pump to me. (sigh)

Thanks,

Russ

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
You might try one of the newer designed "high mileage" oils that stay a little thicker when hot and will help increase oil pressure.
I like Valvoline high mileage synthetic.. and had used it in my older high mileage cars.
Checking oil pressure is very much advisable...
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might try one of the newer designed "high mileage" oils that stay a little thicker when hot and will help increase oil pressure.
I like Valvoline high mileage synthetic.. and had used it in my older high mileage cars.
Dave
Indeed, will be checking oil pressure here soon (tomorrow). Dealer wants $1,200 parts and labor for oil pump. Ugh!

Thought I'd stop in here to see if anyone has heard of pattern failures on Kia oil pumps... or if I'm just the "lucky" one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave
Well, that was fun (NOT!). Bought a cheap gauge from Auto Zone to test oil pressure. The fitting in the box wasn't tapered like oil pressure sending units are (NPT pipe thread). Spent 20 minutes trying to screw the fitting in before I figured that out. And Napa didn't have the right fitting either. Sooooo, next stop.... I'll take it to my mechanic friend and let him deal with it.

On an unrelated note, the head gasket in my Buick Century 2.2 L blew out last week. I tried a bottle of "Blue Devil" liquid head gasket repair.

Guess what? It actually WORKED like a charm. No more white smoke and no more misfire. Wow, I'm surprised.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave
Dave, here's an update (from this thread long ago). The problem, whatever it was, fixed itself. The light went out a few days later and hasn't come on since.

The guys at the dealership tell me that they've experienced some problems with the cluster itself giving a false reading. They'd be happy to replace the cluster for me, of course.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So far, the light is staying off.

Thank you, Jesus!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wife's '04 is having the same issue. Pulled the sensor and checked the oil pressure with a gauge set from Harbor Freight ($25) and I'm getting 40 psi at idle and 80psi at about 2k rpm with the engine warm. I've been unable to find what the pressures should be but feel those numbers aren't too bad for an engine with over 220k miles. I'm going to put in a new switch/sensor ($19) and see if, as I expect, that fixes the light.
Oddly enough, the light did not come on at all with the sensor out and the gauge attached.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,972 Posts
the oil filter for the 3.5 i beleive is a cartridge type and there is a a post that the filter is put on there are "o" rings and over time will deteriorate and if not changed will cause the oil to by-pass and give you a intermittent oil press light at idle. i would also check the o ring for the oil cap these items come with the new filter and sometimes they are not changed. the next step would be change the oil press switch it could be faulty and our you using a KIA oil filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts