Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004/5 Kia spectra EX. 2.0
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kia water pump decided to cry😂 -wheep. So, bought new one for husband to install. I have had a slight oil and coolant leak for the last year. So decided to change front main seal.(So, water pump removed, timing removed after setting top dead center, exhaust dropped, oil pan dropped, maybe something else removed??? As I am going by memory.) Car was running reasonably fine before water pump was about to throw it's hands up and say "I'm done".
Anyway, with all of this apart, husband NOW realizes where the oil pump is. (If it has to be changed, so be it.) He thought he may have broke it, but, when he saw the part price that has to be ordered by any and all of our local parts stores, he said if he can just find out if the oil pump is fixed or floating, he would know. I have searched, watched videos, but, nothing is mentioned or shown this information. If someone knows this answer, it would be appreciated.
Also, once he got the oil pan down, there was coolant inside. Based on research, seemed like once we replace all of these seals, that should be fixed, but, I just wanted to ask if there is ANYTHING ELSE we should look at while it is all apart?
Thanks for your knowledge and help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
Your comment "once he got the oil pan down, there was coolant inside" sounds like you may have either a blown head gasket or a warped head allowing the two liquids to mix...
You didn't say the mileage on the car or the condition of the body/frame... If you have high miles and a good body/frame I would suggest a low mileage engine from a "donor" car... I have found them in our local "pull-a-part" yards... Check for oil reminder stickers on the windshield or for a car that was running when wrecked (side or rear hit)... car-part.com is another place to look... Sounds like your current engine has too many problems and these engines can go 300k+ if properly taken care of... The automatic transmissions can also be reliable "if" the transmission fluid is drained and refilled every 30k miles... Lots of donor cars out there,,,
Dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts