Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra GSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why and or how exhaust fumes will enter the car in the mornings when i defrost?

No known exhaust leaks.....
can it be a clogged front Cat.( i do have lose of power when accelerating )

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
It may not be an exhaust "leak" the exhaust may be back feeding into the car through a rusted floorboard, wheelwell,etc... Earlier KIAs had more rust problems. Anti-corrosion measures on 2004.5 and later have drastically improved body life...
That said. ..I'd suggest that you have the underside of your 03 Spectra inspected for rust through and "if" there are problems get them repaired. The exhaust is more likely into the car with it sitting still. Exhaust gas getting into the cabin of the car is a serious problem and can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

I inspect my Spectras at least once a year for any rust problems..so far none.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
I would be looking for a bad gasket between the exhaust manafold and the exhaust pipe... OR.... Like I said the exhaust gas may be backfeeding from the tail pipe under the car and then in through the fresh air intake.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
As for "loss of power"...visit Advance or AutoZone and have them read the "stored" codes and post them here... We'll work on that problem also..
Dave

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento. 03 Kia Spectra
16 Posts
P0102 The Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAFS) is located between the air cleaner assembly and the throttle body. The MAFS uses a hot film type sensing element to measure the mass of intake air entering the engine. This hot film type air flow sensor consists of a hot film sensor, housing and metering ducts. Mass air flow rate is measured by detection of heat transfer from a hot film probe. The change in air flow rate causes change in the amount of heat being transferred from the hot film probe surface to the air. A large amount of intake air represents acceleration or high load conditions while a small amount of intake air represents deceleration or idle. The mass of intake air should increase at acceleration and be stable during constant engine speed. The ECM uses this information to determine the injection duration and ignition timing for the desired air/fuel ratio.

PO121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor measures the opening angle of throttle valve and mounts on the side of the throttle body and is connected to the throttle blade shaft. The TP sensor’s resistance changes according to the throttle blade shaft position. TP Sensor has a potentiometer whose resistance changes along with the Throttle valve position. The Engine Control Module (ECM) provides a 5volt reference voltage to the TP Sensor. The ECM reads the voltage across the TP Sensor and converts it into throttle position. During acceleration, the TP Sensor resistance decreases. During deceleration, the TP Sensor resistance increases. The ECM uses the TP Sensor signal to adjust timing and injector pulse width. The TP Sensor signal along with the MAF sensor signal is used by the ECM to calculate engine load. Throttle angle information to the ECM to be used for the detection of engine status such as idle, part load, full throttle condition and anti-jerk condition and acceleration fuel enrichment correction

P0325 OBD Code P0325refers to
A knock sensor tells the engine computer when one or more of your engine's cylinders are "knocking", that is, exploding the air/fuel mixture in a way that delivers less power and can be damaging to the engine if prolonged. The computer uses this information to tune the engine so that it doesn't knock. If your knock sensor wasn't operating properly, so that it was always indicating a knock, the engine computer's response may have been to change the ignition timing on your engine. Knock sensors generally bolt into or thread into the engine block. This P0325 code may show up intermittently or the Service Engine light may be lit constantly. Other knock sensor related DTC codes include P0330.

This is from Kia Global Information Systems

You can sign up for it here. It's Free..
https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp

·
Registered
2003 Kia Spectra GSX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st Catalytic Converter

Found the exhaust leak....
the bottom flange of the converter was completely broken loose...
And the Converter guts were all busted up on the inside....
So now i have to buy an exhaust manifold...cause the converter flange is broken....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts