Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sorento 4 X 4 3.5 V6 4 Speed Automatic
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2003 KIA Sorento quit in traffic, turns over but will not start up and run. I replaced the Cam sensor & Crank sensor as well brand new fuel pump. After checking all fuses, relays, wires for any broken ones or shorts, the vehicle still will not start on. Checked fuel reset button as well, still no go. Somehow it just seems power is not getting to the fuel pump, even though it fills up and sounds like it's working. Any good advice is greatly appreciated, I been at it for 2 weeks and completely stumped at this point. Thank you...KelsKia

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,263 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,496 Posts
Try spraying a SMALL bit of sensor safe starter fluid into the intake. If it starts up and runs for a few seconds on outside fuel, then it's almost certainly a fuel related issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try spraying a SMALL bit of sensor safe starter fluid into the intake. If it starts up and runs for a few seconds on outside fuel, then it's almost certainly a fuel related issue.
Hello, yes we did that several times already, and yes it runs very briefly. It just seems like NO fuel is getting to the injectors to run. Only thing I can think of is the ECU is fried somehow. it did get wet from leakage in the roof line from rain etc., over the years. Even though it seems fine and has power to it. I am so puzzled at this point.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
… Somehow it just seems power is not getting to the fuel pump, even though it fills up and sounds like it's working....
What you wrote makes it sound like you haven't tested for power and ground at the fuel pump connector. If so, you need to confirm by testing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you wrote makes it sound like you haven't tested for power and ground at the fuel pump connector. If so, you need to confirm by testing.
Thank you kind Sir. We did do that previously, but maybe not correctly? we are going to try that again, as it just seems something Very Silly & Stupid is wrong with this entire repair. I am great with mechanics, but electrical / computers are not my favorite nor knowledge for the most part,other than simply things. Old mechanic at work...LOL

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,263 Posts
Hello, yes we did that several times already, and yes it runs very briefly. It just seems like NO fuel is getting to the injectors to run. Only thing I can think of is the ECU is fried somehow. it did get wet from leakage in the roof line from rain etc., over the years. Even though it seems fine and has power to it. I am so puzzled at this point.
How about you list everything you've tried and the outcome, instead of others wasting their time with suggestions you've already tried.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again everyone.My 2003 KIA Sorento 3.5 V6 4 Speed automatic 4 X 4 with 135,000 KM on it will still not start up after replacing the Cam sensor & Crank sensor, installed new fuel pump. It is throwing a P1631 error code that says Alternator "T" open or no power. I have cleaned all ground wires to metal I could find in the vehicle, battery, alternator, engine to car as well the terminals for the main fuse box under the hood. Checked all fuses and relays main fuse box and inside by drivers side panel. They all seem fine. Removed the ECU for inspection and it seems fine as well, But it did previously get "Wet" from a leak in roof top of glass channel. the connections look fine and are clean. Shot them with electrical cleaner and let dry. It has been now all dried out and leak repaired. I get a 6 volt reading when key is just turned to "On" with my tester to the main power of the fuel pump main harness connector. Float level works and all electronics,lights, pwr windows, pwr door locks, radio etc. all work. Battery is strong 13.5 volts. I also tried the "reset sequence for this P1631 code error" several times but no go. Also tried the two (2) sets of keys I have as well. I don't believe the car has a shut off device, but I am not sure? Fuel button reset in engine bay seems to be working fine and pressed "In". Engine does run for a few of seconds with start up spray. Does anybody know why it seems like there is just no fuel getting to the injectors? I have about a half a tank of gas in it, does it need to be topped up?
I am totally out of ideas what to do and beyond frustrated. Would a pre-owned "ECU" solve the problem? Only thing I can think to do now. I cannot afford to tow it to a KIA dealer or any costly more repairs. I have to get this done on my own and within a tight budget due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Thank you for any good advise...I greatly appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
The fact that it runs with starter fluid confirms that the ECU and engine sensors are all good and its solely a fuel delivery issue.

6v on the fuel pump isn't correct - the fuel pump will only get power for a short time when turning on the ignition and then power off while waiting for engine rotation pulses - while you measure the FP voltage, have someone turn on the ignition, wait, then crank it and see if the voltage changes.

Next would be to check the MAIN and FUEL PUMP relays.

Also, use a test lamp across the injector terminals and see if it pulses when cranking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Ron, I will get right on that. Have to get an assistant to help test as you suggested. Lol

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Does your car have the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment - looks like the one below.

If so you can place a jumper on two pins to bypass all controls and put power to the FP - if you do have this plug, I'll find which pins (don't have that handy now)/

Reactions: nstoolman1

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does your car have the diagnostic connector in the engine compartment - looks like the one below.

If so you can place a jumper on two pins to bypass all controls and put power to the FP - if you do have this plug, I'll find which pins (don't have that handy now)/

Hi Ron,Thank you. Yes it has that accessory plug in. I am going to try that tomorrow for sure. So far testing all Relays as well double checking fuses in main box all work. Did bench testing on them each. Get back to you tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Hi Ron,Thank you. Yes it has that accessory plug in. I am going to try that tomorrow for sure. So far testing all Relays as well double checking fuses in main box all work. Did bench testing on them each. Get back to you tomorrow.
Do you have the terminals on that Diagnostic plug that you need to jumper to put power to the FP?

A paper clip works well for the jumper.

Here you go:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ron, can you tell me how to use a test light to test the pulse across the injector terminals,I don't understand exactly what you mean, or where they are located? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Ron, can you tell me how to use a test light to test the pulse across the injector terminals,I don't understand exactly what you mean, or where they are located? Thanks
Just place the test lamp leads across the 12v pins on the primary side of the ignition coils.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have the terminals on that Diagnostic plug that you need to jumper to put power to the FP?

A paper clip works well for the jumper.

Here you go:

Hi Ron,ok I jumped the fuel pump and fuel was flowing for sure.
Tripled checked all relays and fuses again and still no start up.
Totally stumped now...what is next to do? other than burn it to the ground...lol

·
Super Moderator
11,263 Posts
Hi Ron,ok I jumped the fuel pump and fuel was flowing for sure.
Tripled checked all relays and fuses again and still no start up.
Totally stumped now...what is next to do? other than burn it to the ground...lol
Did you attempt a start while the pump was running with the jumper in place?

Have you checked for injector pulses?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I
Did you attempt a start while the pump was running with the jumper in place?

Have you checked for injector pulses?
Got the fuel flowing by jumping it with a paper clip. I could hear the fuel going into the engine. Tried to start several times, No go. I cannot test the injectors pulse as I have no one to help crank the engine over while I hold the tester in place. Do you know where the ground straps are located underneath or around the engine bay or what part of the fire wall or the chassis etc. I am thinking it could be a loose or rusted off strap causing all the issues? I cannot not seem to find any straps or wires looking underneath it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello everyone. Still continuing the fight with my KIA Sorento no start. Now tested for pulse on injectors and they appear to be working. Tried hot wire fuel pump, trick again fuel flows I can hear it loud and clear, still No start up. It will start for a few seconds with a blast of Starter fluid spray can with the fuel pump running hot wire and without but doesn't stay running. I have added new ground straps to the engine / trans to frame as well battery too fire wall extra one, and too alternator ground and power, or the big 3 people call it. Does nothing to help. Could it be a bad Solenoid? or maybe fuel injectors are clogged up? I am guessing at things now. Still get a P1631 open "T" stat alternator open /no power on my reader. Inspected all wires and plugs I could find and everything seems fine. Any more ideas what to look for? or eliminate / rule out is appreciated. Almost half tank of gas, do I need to fill it up more? Puzzled and beyond frustrated. Help...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
… I jumped the fuel pump and fuel was flowing for sure. ...
But how well is it flowing? I'm still stuck on the 6 volts reading at the pump that Ron raised a flag on a few days ago, and have been waiting for more about that. If there's really only 6V at the pump then I'd expect it to be producing somewhere around half the normal pressure, and would probably not be capable of spraying fuel properly. A fuel pressure test would provide a confirmation of that, or you could just start diagnosing why there's only 6V at the pump instead of the expected 12V.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts