Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I of course have a 2003 kia sorento. i can go out in morning and turn the key and nothing happens. the battery has plenty of power the lights come on as to say it is going to start but that is all. it is like there is no power at all but like i say it has power. but there is more to the story, you can go back out an hour later and it will fire right up with no issue what so ever and continue to do so for days until it does it again about not starting.....what the heck is going on??????

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,970 Posts
when you go to the start mode does the lights turn dim and you hear a relay chinking if so check your battery connections and maybe its the battery how old is your battery ?? it could be another problem but thats where i would start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reply:

no sir, the battery is almost new only about six months old if that. you hear nothing at all no clicking noise or anything. you turn the key and nothing happens, and well it did it again this morning. turn the key back pulled it out of switch, put it back in switch turned it again and it immediately started. i am at a lost on this one.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2003 S-10 Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,483 Posts
I am calling ignition switch.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Starting Issue

I have a 2004 Optima 2.4L that has the same problem. Today, I went to start it and it wouldn't even turnover the starter motor. I replaced the battery today and I still have the problem. The starter and starter solenoid have been replaced within the last six months. I investigated my fuse box next to the battery and found the 30 amp ING 2 fusible link burnt out. I presumed it must be an ignition switch problem and looked further because my car had not been starting easily over time. I replaced the fusible link and it burnt out again only when I turned the key to start, not accessory! I went ahead and ordered the ignition starter switch because it is only about $11. Have you tried to replace this same part before? I would like some feedback on your resolution also. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i have not replaced ignition switch yet, have thought the same thing though.......meaning that may be the problem...just wish there was a way to check it first

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Starting Problems

I did replace the ignition switch in my Optima and it didn't fix the problem. I have since had the starter bench tested and this seems to be the source of the ignition problem. Do yourself a favor and test yours before you go through all of the trouble I have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok may have a new fact for this problem...the car is pretty unreliable in the morning to start. the past two mornings when you initially turn the key it will not start. but when you turn the key back to the off position you hear an electronic beep or chime lets say. andd then when you turn the key again it will start right up. so any ideas???????

·
Registered
2004 Kia Optima
9 Posts
Definitely the starter solenoid.

My starter had the same symptoms when I replaced it on Feb. The only reason it failed again was water damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts