Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, Newbie here - I really need your help!! I have a 2003 Kia Sorento, 120k miles.

My Kia recently stalled while coming to a light - all power features stopped working. I immediately called AAA (without attempting to restart it).

AAA came out and tried restarting it - it turned right back on. We towed it to Pep Boys. They had a hard time figuring out what was wrong, but ended up cleaning the fuel throttle (I think). $100 out the door, seemed to be running better.

The very next day it stalled in a parking lot while driving really slowly - immediately started up again.

Took it back to the same Pep Boys and they sent me away without resolve. (Said since they couldn't get it to stall on the premises, then it must be fine - ran an engine check too that came out clean)

It hasn't stalled again, but today it shuttered while driving at about 50mph.

I left the service department a voicemail at Kia, but they haven't called me back. I work 2 jobs, so essentially everyday which makes taking the car in near to impossible.

I really appreciate any help/suggestions/advice you may have. Thank you!

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento 2WD 3.5---- Now at the Junk yard
62 Posts
The way I understand it your check engine light is not on. You are not getting any codes to diagnose. I would pick up a can of seafoam and dump it in your gas tank per instructions on the bottle. It helps to clean fuel injectors and every other part of your fuel system. Its about 6 bucks at Menards for a bottle. Its a cheap thing to try. It may just solve the problem.

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento EX
401 Posts
The problems you describe sound like CrankShaft Sensor problem.

With 120K on the car, did you change the Timing Belt yet?

If you did recently, then they didn't do a good job of it, take it back.

If you did not change the belt yet, then get the sensor changed along with the belt, tensioners and seals.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
The problems you describe sound like CrankShaft Sensor problem.

With 120K on the car, did you change the Timing Belt yet?

If you did recently, then they didn't do a good job of it, take it back.

If you did not change the belt yet, then get the sensor changed along with the belt, tensioners and seals.
May also want to add the Camshaft sensor to the shopping list. I've had two different vehicles that if only one or the other was changed, it would still not work properly. Both sensors require the belt to be off, so might as well get them all at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts