Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'03 Sorento EX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some major engine work done a while back to replace both heads due to rodents filling the timing belt area with acorns. Bent 18 of 24 valves and dented one piston. Freakin Mitsubishi interference engines...

After fixing it with rebuilt heads and a new piston it ran more-or-less fine for a while but then began blowing the 15 amp fuel injection fuse occasionally during startup. So far it's never blown while driving but only during a cold start.

I've seen the wiring diagram and it appears the fuel injection fuse feeds all 6 injectors and 3 electrically operated valves in the emissions control system. The ECU grounds the 6 injectors and the various valves as necessary so they're always supplied with power from the fuse-box.

I cut out the injector feed wire from the harness and installed a fuse holder to see if one of the injectors is shorting to the intake occasionally but it still blows the main EFI fuse (now 20 amps) and not the 7.5 amp fuse I placed in the injector circuit. I assume this means it's either a pinched wire in the harness between the fuse box and injector harness or one of the 3 electric valves shorting 12 volts to ground. The diagram from AllData shows only these 3 valves and the 6 injectors on that fuse but I cannot see where the power wire goes after leaving the fuse box. It looks like it goes through into the passenger compartment and then back out with the ECU harness (but I'm not sure). Could the fuel pump be on this circuit? It's over 115,000 miles now and never been replaced.

Has anyone seen this problem before and come up with a likely culprit? Fuses are costing me an arm and a leg - not to mention setting a CEL and delaying my departure each time it happens. Seems to be more prevalent in cooler weather.

·
Registered
3 Posts
having the same problem with an 04. Cant figure out what is shorted were. It was fine until I took it in to have the charcoal filter recall done and then this started. Did it when it was cold. fuel pump is on same circuit. I unplugged all the connectors to the pump itself and it still blows the fuse. Please help anyone who has had this problem and fixed it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts