Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this sorento from a friend and now after getting it running and installing the new front drive shaft I am having big problems. (The front drive shaft was not installed when I got the truck and she was having problems with the 4x4 previously. It is full time 4x4 or awd.)

After installing the drive shaft I noticed a noise right away. Sounded like rusty brake rotors from a vehicle sitting almost. At highway speed holly crap bang bang bang. I thought the drive shaft came off or something. It did not. I really wish that it did. At least I could fix that.

Even with the front drive shaft out I noticed that the front right side makes noise when hitting bumps or steering. Not a clicking cv axle noise. metal on metal but not all the time and not too bad at all.

The only thing I can see so far is that where the drivers side cv axle goes in the axle housing is a little looser than I would like to see. The front diff have fluid and I am about to check the transfer case. I am working on the ground trying to figure out the issue. Differential or transfer case? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Are ALL the tires the same tread and wear depth?
I guess now you know why the driveshaft was out to begin with, huh?. It's not something that is done unless something goes wrong with the front differential, and the owner just wants to drive it in a crippled state. I would say the front differential is busted up internally. Especially if it's still making a bump and grind noise on the one side.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
There was a similar issue previously (early this year from memory) that you may be able to find. At least the symptoms sounded similar. Banging when going over bumps and such.

Turned out to be something loose around the brake on the passenger side on his instance...
Either spend some time checking it out, or looking back into the forums.

From memory said really loud banging noise, took him a while to figure out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are ALL the tires the same tread and wear depth?
I guess now you know why the driveshaft was out to begin with, huh?. It's not something that is done unless something goes wrong with the front differential, and the owner just wants to drive it in a crippled state. I would say the front differential is busted up internally. Especially if it's still making a bump and grind noise on the one side.
Yes I do. My friend said it was locking or binding up.

Now after driving it more the noise that I am hearing over bumps may be in the rear. The major noise is definitely in the front. It bang after I have gotten up to about 40mph and I let off the gas. If I stay on the gas or accelerate it will not bang. I will still hear the bearing noise but nothing crazy. I am leaning towards the differential but I do not want to rule out the transfer case yet until I am positive.

I really need to know how to test the differential. I will be able to use a lift tomorrow so I can see what is going on a little better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found fuse 13 under the dash is for the transfer case. I am going to see if it still bangs under deceleration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts