Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Sorento was running OK, it does have some bad u-joints/ which I understand is not serviceable...however that is not the issue at this point :( ,
It died while I was driving, I wasn't going much more than 20mph as I had just stopped at an intersection shortly before. I have checked the fuel pump and it seems to pumping out fuel, and the timing belt seems to still be in place, though I have not removed all of the covers to check completely...
I have looked through this site, and at this point I am hoping that it may be a sensor that has failed, and not the timing belt....
:confused:Any suggestions would be much help....

just a side not, I am aprox. 100 miles away from any KIA dealer or service department so taking it to them to diagnose it is not so simple.

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
My 2003 Sorento was running OK, it does have some bad u-joints/ which I understand is not serviceable...however that is not the issue at this point :( ,
It died while I was driving, I wasn't going much more than 20mph as I had just stopped at an intersection shortly before. I have checked the fuel pump and it seems to pumping out fuel, and the timing belt seems to still be in place, though I have not removed all of the covers to check completely...
I have looked through this site, and at this point I am hoping that it may be a sensor that has failed, and not the timing belt....
:confused:Any suggestions would be much help....

just a side not, I am aprox. 100 miles away from any KIA dealer or service department so taking it to them to diagnose it is not so simple.
If it stopped like the key was turned off, it could well be a sensor issue. There are reports of the cam/crank sensors going bad causing random stalling out (usually able to start once the computer clears out after a while or things cool down). You didn't give your mileage or when the timing belt was changed last either. If any codes were thrown, it would help US a lot if you could tell us the results (or even if the light came on).

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Who told you the u/joints are not serviceabul?????? Yes, as far as aftermarket goes they can't get them, but any kia dealership can. I know you ahve much bigger problems now, but when you want to replace them, you can!

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Must admit it does sound like a cam or probably crank angle sensor. If it stops dead without warning, then restarts after a time, and then usually works OK untill next time it is probably one of these. See if you can get the codes scanned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts